PDA

View Full Version : Proper way to terminate a vent?

Ross Neag
05-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Is this allowed? New kitchen went in and here's the vent.

Gunnar Alquist
05-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Ross,

I think a little more information is necessary. Is that the underside of the roof? I'm not sure what I am looking at.

Ross Neag
05-06-2008, 03:06 PM
Rhoops, its from the basement directly underneath the kitchen. I've just never seen a vent "started" such as this.

Gunnar Alquist
05-06-2008, 04:03 PM
So, is that just capped? Are you sure it is a plumbing vent? Any way of determining if this is connected to anything? This does not look like it would do anything.

Jim Robinson
05-06-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm with Gunnar. You are talking about the plumbing vent, I guess for an island sink? I've never seen a vent started like that either. It's not the down draft cook top vent, right? It looks way too small, but it's a little hard to tell.

It looks more like a drain that was not used than a vent.

wayne soper
05-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Thats not a vent, that's a cap, mabey from the last kitchen remodel.

Jerry Peck
05-06-2008, 06:15 PM
That can't be the vent, not facing down and not capped.

If it is 'supposed to be the vent' and if it goes up through the roof, rain does enter the vent stacks and runs down them, the rain would then collect on top of that rubber cap until it either forced the rubber cap off, or until it filled enough to spill back into the sink.

I know it is not the 'vent end' of the vent because vents go up, not down.

What I don't know is 'what that is supposed to be', or, if in fact it is supposed to be anything and was just capped off (at both ends?) and is just an abandoned pipe in the wall.