PDA

View Full Version : metal flue strapping

Jerome W. Young
05-06-2008, 05:27 PM
what is the requirement for strapping? This flue was being held in place by the fire stop and cap only.

Jerry Peck
05-06-2008, 06:02 PM
To my knowledge ... "each section" ... needs to be secured in place.

Hopefully Bob Harper will provide a more detailed answer as his experience far exceeds mine in that stuff (Bob is our resident "competent professional", I'm just 'a babe in the woods', 'still wet behind the ears').

Bob Harper
05-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Per the listing and IRC: listed firestops at each floor level or every 10 feet vertically. Most mfrs. state must use a listed intermediate support section of chimney once over about 32ft of chimney. Again, this is per each listed instruction. Most mfrs. will allow the use of plumbers strapping or drives screwed to the outer wall of the chimney as long as the screws do not penetrate the inner section. While not required by the listing, you can install sheetmetal screws in each joint to reinforce it. You should be putting 3-4 screws per joint in all elbows and the offset sections.

HTH,
Bob

Jerry McCarthy
05-06-2008, 06:23 PM
I'm not Bob either, but under the UMC vent support is in the manufacturer's installation instructions from what I recall.

Jerry Peck
05-06-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm not Bob either, but under the UMC vent support is in the manufacturer's installation instructions from what I recall.

ALL codes say to install per manufacturer's installation instructions, which is why I figured Bob would have more of off the top of his head than I did by looking for them.

This is from the Simpson instructions: "Wall Straps should be used to support the vertical pipe as needed to provide a secure installation. Wall Straps every four feet are recommended. "

Markus Keller
05-07-2008, 06:25 PM
I looked this up a few years ago for a job. I know our local requirement was minimum at every floor level and change in direction. Beyond that I don't remember.

Bart Ogden
05-12-2008, 05:05 AM
ALL codes say to install per manufacturer's installation instructions, which is why I figured Bob would have more of off the top of his head than I did by looking for them.

This is from the Simpson instructions: "Wall Straps should be used to support the vertical pipe as needed to provide a secure installation. Wall Straps every four feet are recommended. "

Jerry,

That sounds like the piping required for woodburning stoves. Factory-built fireplaces don't require that much support that I am aware of.

It's always best to refer and defer to the individual mfg's recommendations.

Sincerely,
A. Bart Ogden, President
Home Safe Hearth & Chimney, Inc.
Wichita, KS
Voice 316-265-9828
Fax 316-265-9890
www.HomeSafeKS.com (http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/www.HomeSafeKS.com)

Jerry Peck
05-12-2008, 06:01 AM
That sounds like the piping required for woodburning stoves.

It's always best to refer and defer to the individual mfg's recommendations.

Bart,

That is the Simpson installation instructions for their B vent.

http://www.duravent.com/docs/instruct/L204A_apr00.pdf

See page 7.

Randy Clayton
05-12-2008, 06:35 PM
I agree just one note that we are on the subject of flue vents check for screws being installed in them. I ran across this the otherday.