PDA

View Full Version : a/c condensers bonded to pool equipment

Jerome W. Young
05-06-2008, 05:31 PM
I dont know why they did this. Anyone see a problem?

Jerry Peck
05-06-2008, 06:39 PM
If the a/c condenser unit was within 5 feet of the pool water, it would be required.

The problems I see are: air flow clearance issues around the a/c condenser unit, working space issues at the pump and the condenser unit, liquid tight conduit not properly secured and supported (not that I can see that, it's just a 'very high probability of being correct' guess).

James Duffin
05-06-2008, 07:24 PM
The bonding is correct as long as it is a nut and bolt connection and not a sheet-metal screw.

Jerry Peck
05-06-2008, 07:58 PM
The bonding is correct as long as it is a nut and bolt connection and not a sheet-metal screw.

And, as long as we are getting into the connection in that depth, the paint needs to be removed where the terminal and washer make contact with the side of the condenser unit. Of course, though, now one must be concerned about rusting at that location. :)

James Duffin
05-06-2008, 08:11 PM
You should know that a bolted connection is required. The sheet-metal screw has very little metal to metal contact so it it no allowed. The paint is not an issue in this application.

Jerry Peck
05-07-2008, 06:11 AM
You should know that a bolted connection is required.

I do know that, but originally we were not discussing 'how the connection was made'.

The sheet-metal screw has very little metal to metal contact so it it no allowed. The paint is not an issue in this application.

Paint is not a good conductor, and the paint needs to be removed when that bolted connection is made, because that bolted connection is made, not by contact between the bolt and the inside of the hole (as you said, even a sheet metal screw which cuts into the metal is a poor connection there, much less a bolt through a drilled hole), but is made by compressing the terminal (for the bond wire) to the metal between the terminal and the washer under the bolt head/washer&nut.

Unless you scrape the paint off, all you are doing is clamping terminal-to-paint and bolt/washer-to-paint, using the metal only to hold the paint in place.

That connection is unlike a ground screw in a box or panel enclosure. First, those have metal which is thinker, and their holes are threaded, for use with threaded screws, and the connection between the threaded screw and the metal is the electrical connection, because it is so much better than a sheet metal screw into metal.

If you've even seen one of those connections take a hit, you will notice the scorch arc mark all around the head of the terminal where the arc burned through the paint to make more contact when the threads could not carry the current load.

Those connections are not required to have the paint scraped off, because they are threaded and have what has been deemed 'adequate' metal-to-metal contact at the threaded ground screw itself.

Matthew Barnicle
05-07-2008, 11:43 PM
If the condensing unit was in any way used to heat the pool, it would be required. Some units have a recirculating pump like for a heat recovery unit for a water heater.

Jerry Peck
05-08-2008, 06:07 AM
If the condensing unit was in any way used to heat the pool, it would be required.

This is true, except ...

I've seen thousands of pool heat pumps and none looked like a regular a/c condenser unit, and ...

If it was a regular a/c condenser unit being used for that use, it would be being used outside of its listing and labeling - all equipment used for swimming pools need to be listed and labeled for that use. Thus, if that were the case, the photo would be doubly bad.