PDA

View Full Version : CRAWL SPACE SUPPORT COLUMNS

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
05-07-2008, 06:10 AM
1990 home----three support columns in crawlspace all look just like this picture---is it code to have these columns attached top and bottom--or just recommended-----i wrote it up to have evaluated by licenced competent structural engineer
charlie

Ron Bibler
05-07-2008, 07:02 AM
That should have some PT under that and attached top and bottom.

Charlie That look like a steel beam on top and that is one big concrete pad.

What is the need for the steel beam and that big of a concrete pad ?

looking at that photo. looks like that 2x4 is not doing anything.

Best

Ron

Dom D'Agostino
05-07-2008, 07:17 AM
Tha 2x isn't holding much, it may have been used to prop the I-beam during installation.

Richard Rushing
05-07-2008, 07:19 AM
Charlie,

Doesen't matter anyway... won't be there that long-- No termite shields and not treated material. Buggers will chem'em up like they did the with the beam lying on the ground.

Rich

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
05-07-2008, 08:20 AM
ron that is main i beam for house--and i guess they had alot of concrete

richard----we don't have many termites here in colorado----so they dont usual treat the wood---but i usually see steel piers or jacked steel in crawl spaces----guess i'll let the structural guy decide
charlie

Vern Heiler
05-07-2008, 08:24 AM
At's a real nice dryer vent!

Jerry McCarthy
05-07-2008, 09:48 AM
Nothing wrong with that as the weight of the I beam will hold that support 2x4 in place and gas piping has been approved to support duct work of ANY KIND!

Billy Stephens
05-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Dryer duct appears to be Unlisted and is connected or sealed with an Unlisted material.

Brandon Chew
05-07-2008, 12:01 PM
1990 home----three support columns in crawlspace all look just like this picture---is it code to have these columns attached top and bottom--or just recommended-----i wrote it up to have evaluated by licenced competent structural engineer
charlie

2006 IRC §RR407 COLUMNS

§RR407.1 Wood column protection. Wood columns shall be protected against decay as set forth in §RR319.

§RR407.2 Steel column protection. All surfaces (inside and outside) of steel columns shall be given a shop coat of rust-inhibitive paint, except for corrosion-resistant steel and steel treated with coatings to provide corrosion resistance.

§RR407.3 Structural requirements. The columns shall be restrained to prevent lateral displacement at the bottom end. Wood columns shall not be less in nominal size than 4 inches by 4 inches (102 mm by 102 mm) and steel columns shall not be less than 3-inch-diameter (76 mm) standard pipe or equivalent.

EXCEPTION: In Seismic Design Categories A, B and C columns no more than 48 inches (1219 mm) in height on a pier or footing are exempt from the bottom end lateral displacement requirement within underfloor areas enclosed by a continuous foundation.

Steve Frederickson
05-07-2008, 04:25 PM
I've seen many cases where a column/post that was not connected to the beam at the top and not anchored to the footing ended lying up on the ground at some point (due to loads being reduced on the beam and the beam deflection therefore being reduced, due to changes in moisture content and resulting shrinkage of the post, shrinkage of a dimensional lumber beam etc.)