PDA

View Full Version : Reinspection of a deck

Scott Patterson
05-08-2008, 07:57 AM
This is a picture of a reinspection on a deck. All I wanted them to do was to add some joist hangers. Well they did not add the hangers but they did add a few nails!

Ron Bibler
05-08-2008, 08:13 AM
They got some nice grouping going on.

That should count for something?

Best

Ron

Markus Keller
05-09-2008, 08:04 AM
You know, ever since Danny Glover shot the bad guy with a Paslode, every DIY thinks he's a carpenter after spending $400.00

wayne soper
05-09-2008, 10:21 AM
In some areas a coat hanger is a nail so why shouldn't a joist hanger be a nail.

Jeff Spencer
05-09-2008, 12:18 PM
I'd be happy to get that much.

Any ideas for getting a builder to install deck flashing over ledger joists?

I've inspected 14 beach houses this year. The number of flashings over the ledgers: 0

It's gotten to where I take a drawing of proper flashing, along with pictures of rotted rim joists, sub-flooring and floor joists along to show my clients why I report them when they're missing. The best correction a builder is able to come up with is a small flashing extending about 1 inch over deck planks, and is absolutely worthless.

Jeff

Corn Walker
05-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Any ideas for getting a builder to install deck flashing over ledger joists?

The FEMA Homebuilder's Guide to Coastal Construction Fact Sheet #24 (http://www.fema.gov/library/file?type=publishedFile&file=hgcc_fact24.pdf&fileid=6da444b0-7c0e-11db-9b42-000bdba87d5b) is a nice three page printout you can give to builders, preferably before they install the ledger board and siding.

It's not as if there is a great materials cost or that it takes that much longer to do it right. I installed a deck ledger once following these guidelines and it cost approximately $60 more in materials and took about an extra 15 minutes over doing it the substandard way.

Corn Walker

Jeff Spencer
05-10-2008, 03:53 AM
Corn,

That's exactly what I've been handing out/using. By their reaction, however, you would think I was asking the builder to manufacture uranium. As you say, the cost for the addition is minimal and adds years of protection.

Jeff

Patrick McCaffery
05-10-2008, 05:11 AM
Corn Walker,
Thanks for posting the FEMA link and sharing the information.

Mike Schulz
05-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Don't use that thin galvanize metal that you buy at the big box stores. It needs to be hot dipped galvanized sheet metal that is much thicker or membrane and copper. The thin stuff rust in just a couple of months from the dissimilar metals.

allen elliott
07-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Do you have pictures of the under side?

Scott Patterson
07-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Do you have pictures of the under side?

No, I don't keep extra pictures for more than a few weeks or until I need to clear out the memory card. If it is something remarkable or unique I keep them on the backup hard drive.