PDA

View Full Version : How much lean is acceptable on a Condenser ? See the photos

Gene South
05-08-2008, 05:26 PM
How much lean is acceptable on a Condenser ? (See the photos). Iwrote both of these up. Both generally appeared to be more than 15 degrees out of level and or close to a problem. What do you guys think ?

Nick Ostrowski
05-08-2008, 05:40 PM
I just eyeball them Gene. If they look out of level like the ones in your pics, they go in the report.

Billy Stephens
05-08-2008, 05:48 PM
The Installer (loose term for this application) must not have wanted to Service This Equipment. :D

Jerry Peck
05-08-2008, 07:00 PM
From the 2006 IRC. (underlining is mine)

- M1305.1.4.1 Ground clearance. Appliances supported from the ground shall be level and firmly supported on a concrete slab or other approved material extending above the adjoining ground. Appliances suspended from the floor shall have a clearance of not less than 6 inches (152 mm) from the ground.

Almost looks to me like you've got a ski jumper there on skies getting ready to push off down the jump.

Randy Clayton
05-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Jerry is right look in any installation manuals and it states for a solid level surface thats all no tollerance for unevenence.

Jon Randolph
05-09-2008, 03:02 AM
I use 10 degrees as a standard. Looks like that one will only get worse, in the near future.

Jerry Peck
05-09-2008, 05:54 AM
I use 10 degrees as a standard.

Jon,

Ever look at how steep 10 degrees is?

It equates to 2-1/8 inches per foot - that like taking a 24" wide condenser unit setting on a level pad and sliding a 4x4 (3-1/2") with a 1x4 (3/4") on of it (total height of 4-1/4") in under one side, tipping the condenser unit over far enough to slide that in.

That one photo looks like the condenser unit is setting on an upside down flotation device (Styrofoam beads and concrete = little weight) and, at most, it looks to be, at most, maybe 1" in 12" slope.

Markus Keller
05-09-2008, 07:14 AM
'Level' may not be a correct standard anymore for some units. I looked at some 16 SEER units last year (and took the cert. class for 16 SEER). The unit manuals and class literature both stated that the units should be slightly out of level to help drainage at the bottom of the unit.
I don't think they were talking about the 1st picture though. The lean on the 2nd pic isn't too bad but inadequate support.

Jerry Peck
05-09-2008, 08:33 AM
'Level' may not be a correct standard anymore for some units.

The unit manuals and class literature both stated that the units should be slightly out of level to help drainage at the bottom of the unit.

Years ago, some of the installation instructions wanted the same thing, for the same reason, and stated 'up to 1/4" per foot slope'. If that is in the manufacturer's installation instructions, that would trump the code's "level" (or maybe I should say 'clarify' what the code's "level" tolerance is).

A common tolerance for 'level', as in for accessible surfaces, is " 2% ", which equates (is equated to) " 1/4" per foot " (duly noting here that 2% is not-quite 1/4" per foot, but that 1/4" per foot has become the accepted 2% maximum slope / cross slope).

To me, "shall be level" means "shall be level", and that the manufacturer may well state "to a maximum slope of 1/4" per foot", then again, the manufacturer may not state that, they may state 'on a level pad', which, again, means "level" ... or there abouts. :)

Cary Seidner
05-09-2008, 09:15 AM
I just eyeball them Gene. If they look out of level like the ones in your pics, they go in the report.

Me too. Out of level (or plumb) = uneven wear on the motor = shorten life span.

Jon Randolph
05-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Jon,

Ever look at how steep 10 degrees is?

I know that 10 deg. is a lot to be out of level, but I saw somewhere that more than 10 deg. and the compressor will be starved of oil. I have searched, but can not locate where I saw that at.

Matthew Barnicle
05-09-2008, 05:21 PM
I use 15 degrees as a rule of thumb.

Billy Stephens
05-09-2008, 05:30 PM
I use 15 degrees as a rule of thumb.

Matt,

That's Quite a Lean.

Randy Clayton
05-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Jon, the amount of lean not only for other reasons is not for lack of oil but more so the fact of overloading of oil and blowing out rings and seals..

Jerry Peck
05-09-2008, 07:37 PM
That's Quite a Lean.

And over she goes ...