PDA

View Full Version : Steam generator

mathew stouffer
05-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Is this a valid connection for a steam generator tpr discharge line?

Nick Ostrowski
05-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Hmmm. Exhaust tube goes uphill. Not sure what the manufacturer calls for but my first inclination would be NG..........as in No Good. I know some areas require these exhaust tubes to be plumbed differently but I don't like the idea of sending a TPR tube directly into a drain line as you will not know if the valve is opening which could indicate a defect with the unit it serves.

Also, is that a polybutylene supply line I see in those pics?

mathew stouffer
05-10-2008, 09:24 AM
Nick,
Good points. It is not polybutylene. I was curious if a gap is required, although your point about not being able to identify if the tpr has failed is a good point. The whole set up is a mess because it is missing a drain pan which is required in this area. Thanks for the info.

Mat

Jerry Peck
05-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Forget NG, go with NFG ... :D

First, it goes uphill - that part's NG.

Second, if that thing discharges, it will blow that trap apart, and that is not an approved connection (there should be no connection) - that part's NFG.

Markus Keller
05-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Hell no, let's see...
- essentially double trapped
- connected with a hose
- connected to a plastic sink trap, which as Jerry stated most likely won't handle the pressure
- then of course there's the temperature issue, imagine how hot (+/- 180 degrees) that water is going to be
- since that release is going to be under a lot of pressure it is unlikely it will confine itself to going down the drain; I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a geyser shoot up out of the sink

Markus Keller
05-12-2008, 10:19 AM
also the unsecured 1900 box laying there
and what are those loose black and white wires in the background by the wall?