PDA

View Full Version : Heating duct rusted out in slab

Mike Huppi
04-28-2007, 09:18 AM
I did an inspection yesterday that the lower level ducts were in the concrete slab. I smelled moisture or mildue when I entered the home so when I pulled the vent cover on two registers I found they were rusted through and there was damp rocks and dirt because the duct was rusted through along with some carpenter ants.

Does anyone know of a repair for this or does the floor have to be jack hammered up to make new ducts

Jerry Peck
04-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Do what I suggested years ago when I found some like that, only the ones I found were half full of water - pump them full of concrete and install new ducts overhead.

Of the house I did, in Palm Beach (yeah, it was expensive, but it had NOT been maintained, you would think that people with money would also have common sense ... wait, why on earth would I think that :confused: ), and was two story, so it *was* a problem, but I saw no other solution. Not that big of a problem in the realm of things though, the house needed a LOT of remodeling and deferred (being nice) maintenance, so install the new ducts then.

Steve Brooten
04-28-2007, 11:37 AM
I totally agree with Jerry. Ducts set in the concrete floor are going to be a problem. If not now, later. All of them I have seen have had rust or pest problems, and needed to be replaced. Pump them full of concrete and run them somewhere else! JMHO

Mike Huppi
04-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks thats basically what I told them the only problem is that it is on the bottom floor and they can not get to the joists so its going to be a ugly mess to say the least.

Thanks for the fast reply

Thom Walker
04-28-2007, 12:49 PM
Mike,
Can you post a picture of one of the rusted through carpenter ants? :D

Mike Huppi
04-28-2007, 01:58 PM
OH you vewy funny rusted carpenter ants Ha