PDA

View Full Version : NHIE Responds to False Post

Nat Home Inspector Exam
05-13-2008, 12:14 PM
News Release

NATIONAL HOME INSPECTOR EXAMINATION
RESPONDS TO FALSE POST ON INTERNACHI MESSAGE BOARD

May 7, 2008, Palatine, IL – A recent post on the InterNACHI message board has proven false, according to Pearson VUE, Inc., psychometric contractor for the National Home Inspector Examination.

On April 10, 2008, a claim was made that a group of questions and answers was available from the actual National Home Inspector Examination. Later, a group of home inspection-related questions and answers were posted on the InterNACHI message board. After investigation, the material has proven to be from sources OTHER THAN the NHIE’s question and answer item bank.

The Examination Board of Professional Home Inspectors ensures that the NHIE is both valid and reliable, two qualities required for legal defensibility. Development, maintenance and administration – including security measures – adhere to accepted psychometric standards. Test takers can be confident that their score is reliable due to the test security measures EBPHI employs.

For further information about preparing the exam, please visit our website at www.homeinspectionexam.org (http://www.homeinspectionexam.org/).

Deleted Account
05-13-2008, 02:39 PM
You just might want to post this on the NACHI board seeing as how this appears to be a language dispute between NHIE & NACHI whose outcome will most likely not change anyone's opinion one way or the other.

Joseph P. Hagarty
05-14-2008, 07:46 PM
News Release

May 7, 2008, Palatine, IL – A recent post on the InterNACHI message board has proven false, according to Pearson VUE, Inc., psychometric contractor for the National Home Inspector Examination.

On April 10, 2008, a claim was made that a group of questions and answers was available from the actual National Home Inspector Examination. Later, a group of home inspection-related questions and answers were posted on the InterNACHI message board. After investigation, the material has proven to be from sources OTHER THAN the NHIE’s question and answer item bank.

The Examination Board of Professional Home Inspectors ensures that the NHIE is both valid and reliable, two qualities required for legal defensibility. Development, maintenance and administration – including security measures – adhere to accepted psychometric standards. Test takers can be confident that their score is reliable due to the test security measures EBPHI employs.

For further information about preparing the exam, please visit our website at www.homeinspectionexam.org (http://www.homeinspectionexam.org/).

How was it proven that the material was not from the NHIE?

Bruce Ramsey
05-14-2008, 08:13 PM
This was posted on TIJ.

May 10, 2008 - Seattle, WA
Recently, one of the ethics committee members of the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors (interNACHI) found himself in ethical hot water when he tried to discredit the National Home Inspector Exam (NHIE), owned by the Examining Board of Professional Home Inspectors (EBPHI).

James H. Bushart, proprietor of Home Inspection Services of Missouri, a St. Louis home inspection firm, initiated a post on the interNACHI public message board wherein he offered to provide to any requesting state legislator what he purported to be 980 actual questions and answers to the NHIE. The thread was entitled, 980 Questions/Answers to the NHIE....Free!. The post read in part,

"Are you dealing with a state legislature that might be seriously considering the NHIE as an entrance test for home inspectors? Have your favorite congressman email me and I will send him 980 questions and answers to the NHIE that was recently sent to me, as a free bonus, when I bought some practice questions for the ICC exam. I can prove to anyone who needs proof that the test has been compromised and that it....and its answers....are for sale on eBay."

Though, in the very next sentence Bushart said that he would not pass on the questions or answers directly to other inspectors due to ethical considerations, less than 15 posts later he agreed to send them to Frank Carrio, a New Hampshire inspector, who wanted to use them to discredit testimony made to New Hampshire legislators by Noel Zak, Executive Director of EBPHI.

The NHIE is used to ensure that home inspectors have basic competency at what they do by the majority of states that have some form of home inspector regulation. The questions and answers used in the NHIE are written by a committee of home inspectors from all parts of the continent and are reviewed independently by subject matter experts before they are used in the exam. To ensure security of the exam, inspectors taking the exam are not allowed to bring books, papers, or electronic devices of any sort into the exam room, are not permitted to copy questions or answers, and must agree not to divulge the questions or answers to anyone.

EBPHI takes a very dim view of home inspectors that claim to have the questions and answers to the NHIE and offer to distribute them to anyone. Consequently, on April 16th, Bushart posted to the same message board the contents of a demand letter sent to him by Barnes & Thornburg LLP, a Chicago law firm representing EBPHI. In that demand letter, Melissa A. Vallone, counsel for EBPHI, informed Bushart that his claim to have the questions and answers to the NHIE, and offer to distribute them, constituted "willful copyright infringement, as well as tortuous interference and unfair competition." Vallone demanded:

A complete copy of the NHIE test questions which Bushart claimed to have;
The immediate destruction of all copies of the NHIE test questions which Bushart claimed to have;
The identifying information of the individuals who provided Bushart with the alleged copy of the NHIE test questions;
An immediate post of the following message by Bushart to the interNACHI message board and any other place where Bushart had published that information:
“Copies of the NHIE test will not be distributed. The NHIE test is the property of the Examination Board of Professional Home Inspectors, Inc. (“EBPHI”) and is subject to copyright protection. I acknowledge that the NHIE test is not public domain material.”Vallone warned that if Bushart did not agree in writing to those demands within five business days the firm would take "all necessary steps to fully protect EBPHI’s intellectual property and enforce its right".

Bushart soon changed his tune, stating in a subsequent post, "The testing material that I have does not actually say "NHIE" on it. It says "Questions and Answers from the ASHI NAHI Test". Perhaps ASHI and NAHI are using a different test these days, and I simply made an honest mistake in interpreting that as such."

It's clear that, despite his contention that he might have made an “honest mistake,” Bushart was knowingly being less than truthful when he’d offered to distribute the questions and omitted the true title of the documents; stating instead, "I will send him 980 questions and answers to the NHIE" and "I can prove to anyone who needs proof that the test has been compromised and that it....and its answers....are for sale on eBay."

When TIJ contacted EBPHI on April 17th to find out more about this issue, Ms. Zak and Scott Patterson, President of the EBPHI Board of Directors, confirmed that action was ongoing but declined to comment about the specifics. On May 7th, EBPHI issued a news release stating that, “the material has proven to be from sources OTHER THAN the NHIE’s question and answer item bank,” affirming that the security of their test questions and answers has not been compromised (See the press release) (http://www.inspectorsjournal.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7359).

As of this writing, it’s not known what, if any, actions EBPHI is considering against Bushart, for attempting to discredit EBPHI and impugn the integrity of the NHIE through false allegations.

Deleted Account
05-14-2008, 08:23 PM
I hope you licensing pushing exam peddlers didn't spend all the cash you presumed you were going to garner when the Governor signed Georgia home licensing bill HB 1217, because it appears he chose instead to promote & support the private sector and chose not to supplant the good work of the free market with taxpayer funds. Go figure?

Rick Hurst
05-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Brian,

When did a "Exam" become qualified to become a member?

Dan Harris
05-14-2008, 09:31 PM
I hope you licensing pushing exam peddlers didn't spend all the cash you presumed you were going to garner when the Governor signed Georgia home licensing bill HB 1217, because it appears he chose instead to promote & support the private sector and chose not to supplant the good work of the free market with taxpayer funds. Go figure?

Joe.. Do you think the Govener will have 2nd thoughts when he recieves a letter stating congratulations he passed an online HI org membership quiz, or will he have them a few weeks later when he's also listed as a "Certified" home inspector in Ga. :)

Deleted Account
05-15-2008, 02:21 AM
Dan,

What I think is irrelevant, but since you asked... I think the Governor of Georgia is cognizant of the fact that an unencumbered free market is better able to insure that the best inspectors will continually compete in the marketplace to provide the highest quality service at the best price to the public, much better than the lame regulations which have plagued our profession from coast to coast. Thanks for the opportunity to share.

Joe.

David Nice
05-16-2008, 07:20 PM
News Release

For further information about preparing the exam, please visit our website at National Home Inspector Examination - The Examination Board of Professional Home Inspectors (http://www.homeinspectionexam.org).

I find this fascinating and revealing. The InterNACHI message board allows people to run off at the mouth freely. Even after the poster of that message acknowledged that he was mistaken about the source of the questions, you choose to issue press releases like this.

This type of conduct is unprofessional and so obviously political in nature. Everyone knows that you are free to confront anyone on that message board with the facts, yet you choose to swat a fly with a Nuke. What a silly and wasteful activity. Your presumtion that anybody gives a **** is enourmously amusing.

In my state, all home inspectors are required to take the NHIE and I can tell you that a good majority of inspectors here find the idea that the NHIE is "valid and reliable", to be laughable. The typical remark upon exiting the exam is "WTF was that?", or "That is suppose to be a home inspectors exam?"

Personally I have never seen an exam that was so off the mark and so overloaded with questions that have little to nothing to do with home inspection. I guess if you pack it with enough questions that no one needs or cares to know, you can disguise the small amount of questions that are seriously related to our industry, Many inspectors with a moderate amount of construction knowledge have guessed their way into passing the NHIE. Passing it is truly not in the least bit any indicator of competence.

Rather than running around tooting your own horn, it may be a good time to get back to the drawing board and develop a decent exam. I'll bet there is a hotbed of qualified inspectors over at InterNACHI that would be happy to lend a hand. ;)

Dan Harris
05-17-2008, 07:00 AM
[QUOTE=David Nice;43914]I find this fascinating and revealing. The InterNACHI message board allows people to run off at the mouth freely. Even after the poster of that message acknowledged that he was mistaken about the source of the questions, you choose to issue press releases like this.

This type of conduct is unprofessional and so obviously political in nature. Everyone knows that you are free to confront anyone on that message board with the facts, yet you choose to swat a fly with a Nuke. What a silly and wasteful activity. Your presumtion that anybody gives a **** is enourmously amusing.

Enourmously amusing? and so obviously political in nature?
If you are operating a legit business, and another inspector knowingly lies about you, and discredits your business on an open to the public BB. An open board that is read by a few hundred inspectors, and thousands of spider thingies that go on millions of search engines, I suppose you would just sit back and not present your side.?

Raymond Wand
05-17-2008, 07:13 AM
I love hypocrites. While Mr. Nice openly condemns the article regarding Mr. Busharts nefarious actions he glaring overlooks the other conflicts of interest, the corrupt actions of the ESOP, and the outright lies perpetrated by Nick Gromicko himself, and the abusive, unsolicited emails from ESOP members both private and posted on the open discussion board, no bylaws, no policies, no due process, and no elections. I have never seen such abusiveness in any of the professional bodies I have belonged to. The fact this type of activity is openly promoted speaks volumes as the character and make up of NACHI as a whole.

The latest gimmick is the issuance of the title "Certified" for all manner of one day courses!

The public would be well advised to steer clear of any NACHI inspector and the joke of a title Certified Master Inspector.

Raymond Wand
05-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Meyer

You never cease to amaze me with your skewed logic. You know nothing about association membership. Your repeated involvement with that mob mentality over on NACHI is pathetic given your pious posts here on this board. You have no concept of how a proper functioning body is to operate especially given your propensity to brag about your background. I would have thought someone with an economics degree would not be void of common sense, logic and ethical proprieties.

Other than providing nothing about yourself other than peripheral information I still call into question whether you are who you say you are other than for the opportunity to partake in the guttural, juvenile postings of a person serving on the Ethics Committee and then openly condoned by you and others and the leader himself Mr. Gromicko.

Meyer it is you who has chose to throw the first stone and make unsolicited comments only to serve your need to fill your own short comings.

Perhaps you would be better served to listen to those who have through experience both individually and collectively on this forum who at some point have been members of that circus NACHI and have found common ground to speak out about the travesty NACHI has become.

Raymond Wand
05-19-2008, 05:55 PM
Meyer don't preach to me. You cannot even be certain what you claim was in fact me. You're no better than the company you keep. Without doubt your pleadings show that you have no objectivity and that makes you an ideal candidate for Nachi, and instant expert, a newbie, with no inspection experience or knowledge to make informed decisions.

You can't even prove who you are so as to your credibility you are the one with the deficit.

Raymond Wand
05-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Meyer

Where do you get off, you have no proof, nothing. You only have your claims, thats it.
As for tomorrow do you really think I am concerned with the actions of a rogue who couldn't resist resurrecting the whole issue? Do you really think his actions are warranted, the proof suggest you are siding with the wrong party. I have been threatened by Mario Kryciacou and maliciously attacked by a wacko. Don't come here and stir the pot because you can't get a response over on NACHI, we know your intent.
You know squat and you don't even know the extent of malicious private emails Mr. K. has sent to me. But I guess you support that too, considering you have no proof to provide. Don't be so easily swayed by a mob, you are supposedly better than that.

I dare Mr. Kryciacou to send his emails to the parties he has listed, and don't think for a moment the door on that issue does not swing both ways. Mr. K has more to lose than I.

It is more clear to me now that you are not who you say you are! You are a hypocrite and you can't hide behind your false name any longer.

And by the way if I wish to hate Nachi and spew the truth thats not your problem and is none of your business considering you can't even muster membership.

Raymond Wand
05-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Meyer

Put your money where your mouth is! You have no proof, you have nothing but what you read!

Everyone knows if I have something to post I will do it under my own name, that record is evident repeatedly. If you choose to be ignorant as you continually prove thats your cross. Also I find it rather interesting that my posts and those of who you claim to be mine are conveniently removed while Mr. K's posts are left to show the contempt of NACHI's own rules. Considering his claims and his statements made on my behalf are outrageous not to mention the outright lies, that record is disgusting.

Stop preaching your brand of ethics we don't suffer fools gladly.

Raymond Wand
05-19-2008, 07:07 PM
It was noted it was your IP.

Noted? By whom? By a wacko who is not to be believed? I didn't see anyone providing my IP address did you? I don't think so and if they did you would be able to post it.

As to your writing style it appears to me to be that of someone else I know who was quite a prolific writer and of the same ilk as Mr. K.

Raymond Wand
05-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Thats right you don't have any proof and amazingly its not the first time you have dwelled on misinformation. You should be sure to get your facts right.

As a reminder you also had no right to dump on Mrs. Cooke with your comments nor Mr. Cooke. Mrs. Cooke does not need to hear your myopic ill informed views on how to pick friends. They make their decisions without my input and for you to suggest otherwise is another attempt by you to make you look like your intelligent, well it backfired.

Little Boy's Club - InterNACHI Message Board (http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28923)

5/18/08, 5:06 PM
Steven C. Meyer (http://w2.hidemyass.com/index.php?q=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uYWNoaS5vcmcvZm9ydW0vbW VtYmVyLnBocD91PTE2OTgz) [
Active Poster

Re: Little Boy's Club
Please Note: This user is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI.

For months it has been the Ray pity party, now it has expanded to the Ray, Roy, Char pity party.

Roy/Char should pick better friends, Ray has done them no favors.

You are know by the company you keep. Roy allowed Ray to take him down the same deep hole Ray was in, and is now paying the price for a bad decission.

The above members may have in the past been an asset to NACHI, however their most recent posts and actions has done more damage than any of the good could ever overcome.

Some months ago, Ray was "welcomed back" to the message board, and in very short order, he began the "poor me" self pity party. Roy should have distanced himself from Ray at that point, but chose not to and bought into Rays discourse.

Roy, therefore, has only himself to blame. It was interesting to note, that it was not so much the members of the US side of the issue that brought them both down, but the fact that even their own countrymen were against them, and who would know best, than those in Canada that have a daily relationship with the two of them.

So, it is now time to move on from the R,R & C show to more productive issues, rebuilding NACHI as an organization that we can all be proud of.

Scott Patterson
05-20-2008, 06:35 AM
Guy's take it back to Nicks club and keep it off this site. I doubt anyone outside of a few folks on a short list really want to read about this misadventure.

Folks are kicked out of INACHI for a myriad of reasons, most notable are going against the idealogy of a few or not posting a INACHI logo on your website. Leave all the bickering and drama queen stuff at the INACHI Romper Room site.

Raymond Wand
05-20-2008, 08:28 AM
Scott

Please don't give orders. We have just as much right to discuss what we are discussing, just as you have the right to defend your position. If you want to give orders go to the Nachi site yourself! If you don't like the topic don't read it, its that simple.

John Arnold
05-20-2008, 08:38 AM
I'm not interested in this thread, but I do think that people who post a bunch of messages and then go back and delete them should be banned from the site, if possible.
Otherwise I pretty much agree with Raymond. If youse don't like the thread, youse don't gotta read the thread. Nobody puttin' a gun to yer head. Capiche?
That is, unless forum rules are being broken regarding content.

Michael Larson
05-20-2008, 08:51 AM
.......... most notable are going against the idealogy of a few or not posting a INACHI logo on your website.......That is a misstatement of high order.

NACHI members are not "required" to post a NACHI logo on their website or materials.

The NACHI COE states that it is the duty of each member to help promote the organization. To that end, a condition of membership in the organization is for any member that has a web site, brochure, or other marketing literature to include NACHI and/or "The National Association of Certified Home Inspectors" (in word, link, and/or text). Should another home inspection association be listed or referred to, it shall be positioned and sized in a manner equal to, or less prominent than that of NACHI. Should any member be found in violation of this rule, membership revocation can occur at any time, and without notice or recourse.

Raymond Wand
05-20-2008, 09:30 AM
Michael

We all know that the rules in NACHI are enforced in a piece meal fashion, no consistency
and overlooked completely by Nick and his lieutenants and especially by the ESOP committee when and if the need arises.

Scott Patterson
05-20-2008, 11:01 AM
RAYMOND WAND

Due to Mr. Patterson, I deleated my posts, including my last one, so will respond to your last post again.

Char has chosen to leave NACHI, Roy, I guess was forced out. The "opinions" of some, believe it was their involvement with your problems with NACHI. Quite frankly, I really don't know the whole truth.
Roy has contributed much information, personal HI experience, and was a great asset to the message board in that regard. Know I learned a lot from his posts, and thank him for that.

As to your other member names on the NACHI sight, was it not you that googled me, and posted my washington state address on the board?

Not a big deal, as I have homes in 3 states, which I occupy through out the year, depending on my mood and the miserable winter weather up here.

So, catch me, if you can!!!

Hope things work out for you. Has been fun doing "battle" with you, you're a challenge!!!

Scott Patterson: If you have gotten this far in this post, it's your own fault, you don't have to read it. Unlike you, I believe in freedom of expression. That "down" button works very well in bypassing that which you don't want to concern yourself with!!!

Hey, if it works it works! No need to take it so personal.

It is just so tiresome to hear this tit for tat crap on this discussion board.

Please don't do anything for me, but if you feel you must correct your post that is of your own choosing. I have no power to do anything on Brian's site. Only Brian has that power.

As for having multiple homes, what does that have to do with the price of rice!

Steven Meyer
05-20-2008, 12:12 PM
NOW, back to the orginial purpose of this thread.

The NHIE, IN MY OPINION ONLY, is a joke, and does NOT really test for ones knowledge/ability to do home inspections. We are NOT code inspectors, so their reliance on code questions somewhat suspect, Inspectors should know the basic "codes" in order to know what to look for, but that's about it. There is a heck of a lot more to hime inspection than that.

I am sure there is probably a ton of information out there as to the test and its questions/answers. Take into consideration, classes given (for a price , of course) that will PREPARE you for the test. Now just where/how did those putting on the class get the information to be able to concentrate on just the test?????

I say, follow the money. NHIE has the dog in this fight and a vested intrest in pushing their agenda, $50 for a practice exam, $250 to take the full exam. We are talking real money here, and for what? It's not really a "national" test, as many states do not recognize it.

Thus, (NHIE) spends considerable time (and money), pushing their test as the ONLY valid test, to be used in each state.

There can be valid reason/need for a national HI test, but only if it is devised with all states in mind and covers the basic responsabilities/knowledge of a home inspector. And is recognized in all states, to verify an applicants general/basic knowledge.

So, to call this a "national" test, is false advertising, as noted, many states do not recognize it.

Raymond Wand
05-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Steve Meyer posted:

My first post was addressing the original intent/subject of this thread.

Ray, as usual, finds if necessary to disparage those he may disagree with, so just defending myslf, as many have had to do with Mr. Wand.
Disparage? Thats an interesting comment coming from you of all people! Your pathetic participation in disparging unfounded comments about me on the NACHI board speaks to your ignorance and your inability to separate facts from fiction.

I do not appreciate my personal information (home address) being posted on a public forum. Thats too bad what you don't like considering what you have been participating in on the NACHI board! Willing promoting libelous and erroneous info.

I do live (and work) in multiple states, so it will give Mr. Wand something to do in trying to figure out which state, city, I just may be in. The more he has to do in his "research" of others, the less time he will have posting his usual dribble.Now you are attacking again, you seem to have a problem, no one cares about your homes that you say you have, you haven't proven much of anything as usual and seem to relish in bragging about how good you are. Well we can all see what type of person you are and again I challenge you as to who you actually are.

As to deleating, I made my point to raymond, so no need to keep the posts that you found so objectionable. What a hypocrite, you removed your posts now you are back here attacking me again! What is your problem? I know you don't like me but don't think for a moment I am going to put up with your type and your ability to distort the truths. I can just as readily post links to your outrageous comments which show your mob mentality.

As another has stated, you are not forced to read any post, if it is not of interest to you, then bypass it. I have yet to read anything of importance you have to say. You certainly haven't assisted anyone with home inspection info, contrary to your oft repeated bragging about your background, but you sure seem eager to diss those who you feel need it which is even more laughable considering you haven't put your money where your mouth is in joining an association. You seem to change your mind like I change my underwear.

I may (have) found some of your posts not to my likeing, but would never question your right to post it, neither would I suggest you post it elsewhere. I can just tap the down button, as I frequently do, and not read it.

You just can't let it go, can you. You're right; why not practice what you preach? After reading many of your diatribes on the Nachi forum one must only come to the conclusion you have dementia and can't keep fact from fiction creeping into your posts.

As posted by Steven Meyer and that other reprobate Mario Kryciacou ESOP committee member of NACHI.

Romanian ******* AKA Ray Wand - InterNACHI Message Board (http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28981)

Steven C. Meyer (http://www.nachi.org/forum/member.php?u=16983) Active Poster
http://nachi.cachefly.net/forum/images/2006/reputation/reputation_pos.gif

http://www.nachi.org/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif Re: Romanian ******* AKA Ray Wand
Please Note: This user is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI.

GOOD GRIEF

NOT ANOTHER RAY WAND THREAD!!!!

Looks like a mug shot, where are the booking numbers accross his chest???

(and the side photo???)

Soon to be posted at your local post office, and telephone poles!

Raymond Wand
05-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Fwiw I just called the telephone number Mr. Meyer accused me of posting on the website and the number is no longer in service! Seems Mr. Meyers hasn't been truthful in what he posted, and further calls into question as to who he says he is!

Steven C Meyer (http://www.whitepages.com/10583/search/Replay?search_id=30181422303578337153&lower=1&more_info=1&form_mode=opt_b)

home
1529 Fourth St
Kirkland, WA 98033-5553

(425) 828-6599

Steven Meyer
05-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Think I have proved my point, Mr Wand has nothing better to do than to try and discredit others.

Ray, no inspections today??

Scott Patterson
05-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the honest reply, now let me see if I can address your post in a logical and honest manner:

NOW, back to the orginial purpose of this thread.

The NHIE, IN MY OPINION ONLY, is a joke, and does NOT really test for ones knowledge/ability to do home inspections. We are NOT code inspectors, so their reliance on code questions somewhat suspect, Inspectors should know the basic "codes" in order to know what to look for, but that's about it. There is a heck of a lot more to hime inspection than that.

I guess I need to ask when you took the NHIE? The exams (4 of them) change every year and undergo a major remake every four years. I don't know what you consider a "Code" question, but I don't think you will fine a question on the exam that requires you to cite a code. The NHIE has many questions on defect recognition and safety items around a home.

I am sure there is probably a ton of information out there as to the test and its questions/answers. Take into consideration, classes given (for a price , of course) that will PREPARE you for the test. Now just where/how did those putting on the class get the information to be able to concentrate on just the test?????

EBPHI publishes a "Blueprint" of the exam for anyone that wishes to study or to teach the various domains. The domains (areas that are tested) are not a secret, it is made available to the public. As for what or how it is taught is up to whoever is doing the teaching. As for the questions on the exam? Well if you study everything that is covered under the various domains you should have no problem passing. Just as an experienced home inspector should not have any trouble passing. The NHIE covers basic knowledge that a home inspector is expected to know.

I say, follow the money. NHIE has the dog in this fight and a vested interest in pushing their agenda, $50 for a practice exam, $250 to take the full exam. We are talking real money here, and for what? It's not really a "national" test, as many states do not recognize it.

Well it is used by 20 states out of the 32 states that have licensing, with 2-3 more in 2009 that have just passed legislation into law.

Thus, (NHIE) spends considerable time (and money), pushing their test as the ONLY valid test, to be used in each state.

Just how much time & money does EBPHI spend pushing the NHIE? They do not have a lobbyist and have only two employees (1 part-time and 1 full-time). The can't spend all that much.

There can be valid reason/need for a national HI test, but only if it is devised with all states in mind and covers the basic responsibilities/knowledge of a home inspector. And is recognized in all states, to verify an applicants general/basic knowledge.

So, to call this a "national" test, is false advertising, as noted, many states do not recognize it.

Again it is used by the majority of the licensed states. The exam is designed by inspectors from all geographical regions of the country. Over 2700 home inspectors from every state and Puerto Rico, with 5 or more years experience had input into the exam blueprint during its development. Then new questions are written by inspectors from all regions of the country every year.

Last time I checked the NEC is not used by every state in the country either, but it is called the National Electrical Code.

Sounds like a National exam to me.

Raymond Wand
05-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Hey Steve

If you want to play mind games go ahead but don't expect me not to throw the broken bottles back. I have yet to see you live up to your agreement in which said you would exercise. Instead you are back better than ever. You have endorsed and encouraged further libelous posts knowing the info you post or endorse is false. I don't see you taking affirmative action to stop it but it is obvious you are promoting it readily. For all your high and mighty pontifications here and over there you sure are contradictory.

I would challenge you to take the NHIE, and apply for membership in ASHI. I am a former Certified Member and highly recommend it. Contrary to your endorsements of misleading information I remain a member in good standing of OAHI and have never been kicked out of any association other than NACHI and that is a badge of honour.

Now take your two bit nonsense and go back under the NACHI rock and relish in your ignorance.

Raymond Wand
05-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Slander? You are the master. Lets see if you live up to your word this time.

And by the way contrary to your weak arguement regarding me posting your address and telephone number, that is public knowledge and easily find so don't distort and make an issue of it too much. Duh! ;)

Steven Meyer
05-20-2008, 03:56 PM
SCOTT

I will consider your response to my post.

I am not a government/licensing supporter, and I question the cost of this test, especially when it is forced on me.

I am in states that currently do not require nor recognize the NHIE, however, they (NHIE) are making every effort to do get their test in those states. Would be a big bump in their income to do so, thus they do have a monetary incentive.

Scott Patterson
05-21-2008, 07:36 AM
SCOTT

I will consider your response to my post.

I am not a government/licensing supporter, and I question the cost of this test, especially when it is forced on me.

I am in states that currently do not require nor recognize the NHIE, however, they (NHIE) are making every effort to do get their test in those states. Would be a big bump in their income to do so, thus they do have a monetary incentive.

Sure, EBPHI would like to have the NHIE in Washington as having WA and any other additional state as a client would help EBPHI to fund further developement of the NHIE for years to come. EBPHI is a not for profit organization and has no stock holders, a small office and only one full-time employee. Maintaining an exam of the high caliber as the NHIE is expensive and is not very profitable, this one of the reasons that you do not see anyone else doing it. Most do not realize it but, EBPHI does not receive the entire test fee. EBPHI contracts with a testing company (Pearson Vue) to administer and maintain the exam across the country. A good portion of the fee goes to the administrator of the exam.

Lewis Capaul
05-21-2008, 10:46 AM
That is a misstatement of high order.

NACHI members are not "required" to post a NACHI logo on their website or materials.

The NACHI COE states that it is the duty of each member to help promote the organization. To that end, a condition of membership in the organization is for any member that has a web site, brochure, or other marketing literature to include NACHI and/or "The National Association of Certified Home Inspectors" (in word, link, and/or text). Should another home inspection association be listed or referred to, it shall be positioned and sized in a manner equal to, or less prominent than that of NACHI. Should any member be found in violation of this rule, membership revocation can occur at any time, and without notice or recourse.

Michael, does that mean that Farsetta and several other of the Nachi Sheep Herders have now placed the InterNachi Logo on their home pages along with their deceptive CMI logos, or is everything in Nick's world still the same, special rules for special fools?

As far as the NHIE goes, at least those taking the test are required to prove WHO they are when taking it unlike online tests where anyone can claim to be anyone they like. Then there's Nick's "statistics" that his online test must be more difficult than the NHIE because his online "exam" has a higher failure rate.

It's like comparing apples and oranges, people who take the NHIE are willing to spend $250 to take the test, many of those who take the INachi online test are just curious about how much they've learned from watching "This Old House" and many are not seriously interested in becoming Home Inspectors, or are hoping to pass with very little experience or education and yet still be able to claim they are Certified", at least that's the big benefit Nick pushes in his Newbie sales pitch on his website.

Instead of buying answers for an ICC Exam on Ebay why didn't Bushart take Joe B's ICC Class, which I've heard is pretty good, after all they seem to be "connected".

Michael Larson
05-21-2008, 11:06 AM
Lewis you have a reasonable amount of intelligence so please read the posted policy.

CMI is not an association and you know that.:rolleyes:

Deleted Account
05-21-2008, 11:58 AM
Instead of buying answers for an ICC Exam on Ebay why didn't Bushart take Joe B's ICC Class, which I've heard is pretty good, after all they seem to be "connected".

This thread would be best left alone, you know it, I know it, everyone knows it. I'm glad I didn't step in it, it would have been better for you to have not stepped in it too, but here we are. Tell you what, you & I can meet again on another thread and kick it old school, I want no part of this Canadian madness thingy.

Lewis Capaul
05-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Lewis you have a reasonable amount of intelligence so please read the posted policy.

CMI is not an association and you know that.:rolleyes:

If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, it's most likely a duck, your CMI has a board of directors, an ESOP committee, members, membership requirements, and membership fees, it has its own website and message board, in fact it has two, one on the CMI site and one on the Nachi site, sure sounds like an association to me, at least as much of one as your association.

A designation would not have members would it? A designation would have to be awarded by some organization or association wouldn't it, similiar to your Nachi Certification, just send money and be all you can be.

Michael Larson
05-21-2008, 04:08 PM
If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, it's most likely a duck, your CMI has a board of directors, an ESOP committee, members, membership requirements, and membership fees, it has its own website and message board, in fact it has two, one on the CMI site and one on the Nachi site, sure sounds like an association to me, at least as much of one as your association.

A designation would not have members would it? A designation would have to be awarded by some organization or association wouldn't it, similiar to your Nachi Certification, just send money and be all you can be.But in this case it is not the "duck" you think.

Flail away if you must.:D

Raymond Wand
05-21-2008, 05:01 PM
I know two individuals that were given their CMI, no questions, no fees.

There are no bylaws, no policies, et ceteras. Like much in NACHI its all about marketing and the CMI is just another membership data base for NACHI to sell wares to. If two people can receive their designation for nothing, then the whole qualification process is flawed, tainted, subjective.