PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Siding Installation

David Block
05-14-2008, 01:03 PM
I have a question regarding the installation of vinyl siding around windows and doors. Is the J-channel that butts up to the windows and doors suppose to be caulked to window and door? I can see behind the J-channel and see the flashing and what not but common sense would tell me that water is not intended to get behind the siding even if the proper flashing and house wrap are installed. Just curious what you guys thought.

Jerry Peck
05-14-2008, 01:18 PM
David,

I've looked through the Vinyl Siding Installation Manual and there is nothing about caulking the 'J' channel to the windows or doors.

It should not matter if water gets through there as the flashing behind it and the weather resisting barrier which is required behind the vinyl siding will allow any water which gets in that space to drain down and out.

David Block
05-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Yeah I didn't find it either in the vinyl siding installation manual but we have to then assume that the proper flashing and vapor barrier we installed. Just wondering what you guys thought on the matter. I am very skeptical about builders and would prefer to see the caulking there but thats just me.

Jerry Peck
05-14-2008, 01:28 PM
but we have to then assume that the proper flashing and vapor barrier we installed.

David,

"but we have to then assume that the proper "

Not "but we have to then" ... we have to assume that REGARDLESS of how the vinyl siding is installed - unless you can see through the vinyl siding and see that it is not right, in which case you can address that issue without having to "assume" it.

Paul Kondzich
05-14-2008, 02:24 PM
How about this for scary. At my last ASHI meeting, a fellow inspector noted that in a new subdivision going in that they are putting vinyl siding directly over OSB. No wrap, nothing, right over OSB. This inspector had to visit the building dept. a few days later and asked the proper person if the county was allowing this. Yep its fine was the answer.

Rick Vernon
05-14-2008, 04:35 PM
Paul, here is something that will help answer your questions. Note pg 2 on water resistant barrier.

Publications - VSI - The Vinyl Siding Institute (http://www.vinylsiding.org/publications/)

Paul Kondzich
05-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Rick thanks for the info I will check it tomorrow. Me...If I was building a new home, if it cost 5K more to build it with plywood opposed to OSB I am all in. When I built a new home in Naples FL. in 1996 I paid $1000 more for 5/8 plywood opposed to the OSB they had just started using then. I was there a few months ago and my previous neighbor who had a Centex home same year needed a new roof, yeah the shingles were shot, but the sheathing too. $45K. My old house next door, new shingles sheathing fine. 7K you decide.

Paul Kondzich
05-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks again Rick, I just read that. It appears you gave me ammo to support my case. Its too bad in 3 years here all I can do is advise my clients. The building dept is a joke, I gave up about 6 months ago. Here, it is perfectly fine to have a panel downstream from the main disconnect to be wired as a main. Sometimes its 500 yds. but the panel at the house is wired as a main. The building dept. is so lame the "Master electricians" here have no idea why a downstream panel should be wired as a sub. Umm I am going back to Florida where I have to know some Spanish. It snowed 2 inches yesterday May 13.

Jerry Peck
05-15-2008, 05:45 AM
Here, it is perfectly fine to have a panel downstream from the main disconnect to be wired as a main. Sometimes its 500 yds. but the panel at the house is wired as a main. The building dept. is so lame the "Master electricians" here have no idea why a downstream panel should be wired as a sub.

Paul,

It could be that they are "so lame" as that, or, it could be that, in referring to the different panels as you just did, they did not understand what you were saying/asking.

This is because "main panels" and "sub panels" *ARE WIRED THE SAME*, with the neutral isolated from ground.

*SERVICE EQUIPMENT*, on the other hand, is wired differently ... the neutral is bonded to ground.

As best I can understand from what you stated, the local building department allows/requires "the service equipment" to be wired the same as "the non-service equipment" is wired.

Okay, I agree, that is wrong, but ... "which" is wrong. You did not state which was wired correctly nor which was wired incorrectly, only that they were both wired the same.

Is the neutral *not* bonded to ground at the service equipment? Making that wrong.

Is the neutral bonded to ground at the non-service equipment? Making that wrong?

Eric Barker
05-15-2008, 10:34 AM
David,

Vinyl siding is not watertight - it's not designed to be watertight. The siding manufacturer will not warrant against water entry. That's why their warranties say that the home must be watertight prior to siding application.

Ok, so now we wrap the house and have Z flashing or nailing flanges over windows and doors (J-channels DO NOT qualify as a flashing detail). When the caulk is applied between the J-channel and flange/flashing over these penetrations water can no longer exit from that point.

I run into the same idiotic responses from contractors and AHJ about paper and caulk. It's not difficult to prove them wrong.

Paul Kondzich
05-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Is the neutral bonded to ground at the non-service equipment? Making that wrong?

This is what I was referring to Jerry. I was not as clear as I should have been.