PDA

View Full Version : Stucco clearance from roof

Ross Neag
05-15-2008, 07:20 PM
This home has approx 30" overhang but this appears wrong even if there is step flashing buried. Doesn't ALL siding require 2" space?

Jerry Peck
05-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Unless it is stucco on block (and that is likely stucco on frame) ... stucco on frame is a drainage system and requires space to drain. While 2" comes to my mind, it could be more or less than that, however, I would go with 2" until proven wrong (or until I looked it up) as that would provide the drainage space for the wall/weep flashing to drain/weep up.

Eugene Cameline 3rd
05-19-2008, 10:53 AM
No termination bead or caulking at the window either.

Scott Patterson
05-19-2008, 11:03 AM
It is 2" off the surface of the roof.

Another reason for the distance is so that the roof can be replaced as needed without damaging the stucco.

Brandon Whitmore
05-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Doesn't ALL siding require 2" space

A min. of 1" clearance is required for other siding types.

RobertSmith
05-19-2008, 03:33 PM
A min. of 1" clearance is required for other siding types.

Could someone please cite the source for clearance...I've looked in the 2006 code book, I can't find it. Nor can I find it in manufacturer installation instructions.

Jerry Peck
05-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Could someone please cite the source for clearance...

Robert,

It's in the ASTM standard, C 1063, Standard Specification for Installation of Lathing and Furring to Receive Interior and Exterior Portland Cement-Based Plaster
(Note, while we are not referencing "foundation" weep screed, we are referencing "weep screed", which, like "foundation" "weep screed" must be allowed to have room to ... well, "weep".) (underlining is mine)

- 7.11.5 Foundation Weep Screed — Foundation weep screed shall be installed at the bottom of all steel or wood framed exterior walls to receive lath and plaster. Place the bottom edge of the foundation weep screed not less than 1 in. (25 mm) below the joint formed by the foundation and framing. The nose of the screed shall be placed not less than 4 in. (102 mm) above raw earth or 2 in. (51 mm) above paved surfaces. The weather resistive barrier and lath shall entirely cover the vertical attachment flange and terminate at the top edge of the nose or ground flange.

Treat that weep screed (which is missing) as "foundation weep screed" (it serves that same purpose), and treat the roof as "paved surfaces" (the roof serves that same purpose).

Matthew Barnicle
05-19-2008, 10:04 PM
Northwest Wall and Ceiling Bureau says you need 2"

Brandon Whitmore
05-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Could someone please cite the source for clearance...I've looked in the 2006 code book, I can't find it. Nor can I find it in manufacturer installation instructions.

Without looking into the codes, I can tell you that James Hardie products requires a 1-2" min. clearance under 4,000 feet, and a min. 2" clearance above 4,000 feet (Western US instructions).

I can't tell you where else I have seen the requirements over the years. Hardie Plank is so often used around here I pretty much know their instructions by heart.