PDA

View Full Version : Open ground outlets

Trent Tarter
05-16-2008, 08:47 PM
How would you best describe open ground outlets at some but not all locations. This is an old 1900's home that has been rewired with modern Romex wiring, no energized K&T was found.

Jim Luttrall
05-17-2008, 10:43 AM
Piece meal electrical work that likely has some of the old wiring still in use and call for repair.

Markus Keller
05-17-2008, 06:15 PM
I test as many outlets as possible. If I find any with problems I give the exact locations. Heading of what the problem is, then list of locations.
Otherwise...Seller: 'We don't know what your HI is talking about we checked outlets and couldn't find that one".

wayne soper
05-17-2008, 06:26 PM
I recommend they get an electrician to test every outlet in the home as I only sample. If I find a few it means there are probably more. If they are asking where it means they are trying to do skip the pro.

Scott Patterson
05-18-2008, 09:28 AM
How would you best describe open ground outlets at some but not all locations. This is an old 1900's home that has been rewired with modern Romex wiring, no energized K&T was found.

You might not have found any energized K&T but that is the problem! I would say that about 80% of the homes I see that have been rewired still have K&T in the walls and places you can't see.

JB Thompson
05-19-2008, 01:36 PM
What device do you use to test?

Matthew Barnicle
05-19-2008, 10:13 PM
"Several examples of 3 prong outlets/receptacles not truly grounded and showed open ground when tested. Examples include "Give locations". Outlets/receptacles in this condition represent an increased risk for electrical shock under certain conditions. Recommend review all outlets and repair as needed by licensed electrical contractor." Safety Hazard.