PDA

View Full Version : Stucco meets stone

Michael Thomas
05-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Stone to stucco, with a combination of horizontal and vertical junctions.

Is there any way to do this right?

If so, how?

Any link to installation instruction / diagram?

- Thanks

John Carroll
05-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Can't tell the system thickness from the photo, (it would be nice to hold the end of a tape measure up to the stem when taking pictures like this) but it seems from the other pics that the stucco was installed after the stone work. Ideally there should be a j-metal stucco stop where all stucco meets dissimilar materials, in this case, because of the in & out of the stone, the stucco sub or the designer decided not to do it.
If all the WB's and flashings are in place, (hard to tell w/o destructive testing) it should be ok, unless there is other evidence of moisture intrusion on the interior, you might suggest it as an area to watch for future problems.

Michael Thomas
05-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Thanks. No evidence of water damage at the interior founds visually, by IR or with a meter - there a number of problems with that stucco and the roof above it, and I was prepared to find some.

One of my concerns is that based on detailing elsewhere, this appears to manufactured stone, and if so may be subject to problems from even "small" areas of moisture intrusion:

http://www.impressionsinstone.biz/IIS-InstallationBestPractices.pdf

so I'm aways a little skittish when I see it, and in this case none of the installation guides I can find discuss detailing at that sort of irregular junction.

John Carroll
05-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Great article-Everyone should read...Thanks!
Manufacturers' detailing can be hit and miss depending on the product. I would suggest reading what is posted at the onecoat manufacturers association, I believe their website is ocma.com, but if you google it, you should come across it pretty fast.