PDA

View Full Version : Radon Mitigation Insurance

Brett Temperly
05-29-2008, 02:03 PM
I am starting a radon mitigation company and I am looking for liability insurance. My local insurane co. will not insure for radon. I live in IL, and need insurance so I can start. Any help would be great. Thanks, Brett

Jon Randolph
05-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Are you currently a home inspector? My E&O insurance covers inspections, WDI and radon as well as covering me with GL.

Paul Kondzich
05-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Jon, is that for mitigation. I would think you would need something more since it is not just testing.

Jon Randolph
05-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Sorry, I guess that I did not thoroughly read the post. No that is for testing NOT mitigation.

Scott Patterson
05-30-2008, 06:53 AM
I am starting a radon mitigation company and I am looking for liability insurance. My local insurane co. will not insure for radon. I live in IL, and need insurance so I can start. Any help would be great. Thanks, Brett

If you are looking for GL insurance, I would think that you would need the same coverage that would be used by anyone doing work around a home. General contractor, plumbing contractor, remodeler, etc. What you will be doing I bet falls under light construction.

You will be coring concrete, light electrical, assembling PVC pipe, working in attics, crawls, basements, on roofs, etc.

Paul Ybarra
05-30-2008, 08:26 PM
Brett,
Radon mitigation insurance is difficult to obtain since many underwriters don't want to touch it. To obtain the best rates (I could find) you need to join AARST (aarst.org), be licensed by the state you will work in or have NRSB or NEHA-NRPP mitigation certification. Since you live in IL you have to have your IEMA license before they will insure you for work in IL.

From member bennies at AARST.org
"Qualifies state-licensed and NRPP-certified AARST members with increased
and specialized Insurance that includes General Liability, Professional Liability and Pollution Liability"

I also obtain my hired and non owned auto from them at a good rate from these Insurance brokers.

Regards,
Paul Ybarra

Steve Riggs, AAI
12-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Most Home Inspector insurance policies exclude liability due to environmental work like radon or even professional liability. The largest association for radon is AARST and they have an endorsed program at Radon Insurance (http://www.radoninsurance.org)