PDA

View Full Version : Unshingled flashing

imported_John Smith
05-30-2008, 03:59 PM
There was a large amount of flashing left exposed around this chimney chase. The largest dimension was ~ 22". I understand why they tried to flash like this, but I dont understand why they didnt try to shingle over it. Opinions?

Gunnar Alquist
05-30-2008, 05:25 PM
I don't see that as a problem. Installing shingles over that would just poke holes in the metal.

Ron Bibler
05-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Re: Chimney in valley
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/images/ca_evo/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/roofing-system-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/6663-chimney-valley.html#post37468)
David
Code ref. number please. There's no doubt it's a bad location, but I'm unaware of a code restriction for doing such? (hope I'm wrong)

Jerry. Are you questioning the figures in the quote or that the Chimney is not allowed in a valley by code? I do not think the quote implies that there is a code prohibiting chimneys in valleys. Quote says " Therefore no chimney(s), plumbing vent(s), or flue stack(s) should be placed within 18" of a valley.
It says should not shall. Just a recommendation.
As for the figures 2003 IRC R905.2.8.2.
There may be some disagreement on these figures as I think I remember Jerry P and Richard Rushing going round and round on this issue. I could use some enlightenment myself.

This was in another post a few weeks back. may want to see if any is applicable.

Best

Ron

Michael Thomas
05-31-2008, 07:09 AM
My chief concerns would be installation details you likely can't evaluate in this case: aspects such as how far the flashing extends up under the siding and if there is a counter flashing. So IMO it's very important to separately and specifically disclaim the ability to evaluate such flashings at each location were insufficient hold-back from the roof membrane or other factors prevent full evaluation.

Billy Stephens
05-31-2008, 12:06 PM
I don't understand why they didn't try to shingle over it.

Because You Can't see it from the Ground. :D