PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Wanted

Steven Turetsky
05-30-2008, 11:00 PM
I came across this set up today. I feel that the 2x4 is too flimsey to attach to. Am I making a big deal out of nothing?

Ron Bibler
05-30-2008, 11:25 PM
It looks OK from what i can see.

Whats the span of that ridge? it look like a 2x12
comp or tile roof?
Is that kicker off a center wall ?
do you have a snow load there?

Best

Ron

Steven Turetsky
05-30-2008, 11:59 PM
Hi Ron,

I really got the impression that the 2x4's were remnants of framing out the roof. The rafters are 2x8's, the span is about 10'. Composition roofing. Are you thinking they are more than temp supports. If so, I certainly feel the way they are attached is flimsy to say the least.

Brandon Whitmore
05-31-2008, 10:03 AM
I wouldn't have called it out unless the 2x was loose.... just my own opinion though.

Steven Turetsky
05-31-2008, 04:58 PM
Brandon,

What do you feel about the issues Ron brought up regarding the span? I never felt the structure was underbuilt and as I stated, I believe the braces are remnants of the framing process.

Do you think I am off base?

wayne soper
05-31-2008, 06:37 PM
I think those posts belong under the hip in that position and should be left there.

James Duffin
05-31-2008, 06:53 PM
It looks like to me it was installed by the electrician to mount the light and receptacle to.

Matt Fellman
05-31-2008, 08:21 PM
I think that's a very nicely framed roof and unless you're an engineer and have a set of load specs in front of you, you'd be way off base commenting on it.

As for mounting the electrical stuff to the 2X4 I agree that as long as it's not loose I wouldn't comment.

Brandon Whitmore
05-31-2008, 09:00 PM
Brandon,

What do you feel about the issues Ron brought up regarding the span? I never felt the structure was underbuilt and as I stated, I believe the braces are remnants of the framing process.

Steven,

Seeing as how that is just a 2x, I can't see how it was designed to carry any of the load. Where's the New York Brandon when you need him?

Ken Amelin
06-01-2008, 05:10 AM
The verticle 2x's look like temp support when framed. The hip roof and ridge vent detail do not require support at these locations.

Brandon Chew
06-01-2008, 09:55 AM
The vertical supports under the ridge are not needed if the ceiling joists are properly functioning as rafter ties (which keep the roof from flattening and the walls from pushing out). They were likely installed while the roof was framed in order to hold the ridge board in place until it was supported by the rafters. They are frequently left in place after construction is completed.

I wouldn't comment on the one with the light and receptacle attached to to it unless I felt that it might come loose if bumped.

Brandon Chew
06-01-2008, 09:57 AM
Where's the New York Brandon when you need him?

With my kids on a school trip to Mystic Aquarium. :)