PDA

View Full Version : NG Vented Fireplace

Randy Aldering
06-03-2008, 08:36 AM
New construction. This vents a natural gas manufactured fireplace.

Matt Fellman
06-03-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm not seeing anything.... Do you mean the chimney? Or, the bath fan vent? Is there a chance the FP is a ventless type?

Randy Aldering
06-03-2008, 10:05 AM
It's a wood frame chimney with metal vent inside, terminates at the top. Note the two-story house about three feet away, and the operable window.

Nick Ostrowski
06-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Now that's what you call planning.

Bob Harper
06-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Is it a factory built wood burning fireplace with a set of vented gas logs, a B-vented gas fireplace, or a direct vent fireplace? Each has its own special requirements.

You guys tell me, what would be the requirements in each of these cases based on what you see and the information that is is three feet from the gable end where that bath fan termination is? Also, in each case, if you find it a problem, what remedial measures do you recommend and what is your source for that recommendation?

Bob Harper

Jerry Peck
06-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Is it a factory built wood burning fireplace with a set of vented gas logs, a B-vented gas fireplace, or a direct vent fireplace? Each has its own special requirements.

You guys tell me, what would be the requirements in each of these cases based on what you see and the information that is is three feet from the gable end where that bath fan termination is? Also, in each case, if you find it a problem, what remedial measures do you recommend and what is your source for that recommendation?

Bob Harper

What a set-up for failure for us. :D

Q: "Is it a factory built wood burning fireplace with a set of vented gas logs,"

A: Wood burning requires that the top of the flue/vent be (3-2-10 rule) at least 3 feet high, and at least 2 feet higher than any part of any structure within 10 feet.

Q: " a B-vented gas fireplace,"

A: Type B gas vents require the top of the vent to be (1*-2-8 rule) at least 1 foot high*, and at least 2 feet higher than an obstruction within 8 feet.

*The 1 foot minimum varies based on slope, 1 foot is the minimum, it goes up from there with steeper slopes. Check the table (see attached example).

Q: " or a direct vent fireplace? "

A: Read the manufacturer's installation instructions. ;)

By raising the first two to the minimum height above the nearby roof, I think it eliminates the bath fan question - of course, though, Bob H., will show me the errors of my ways ... :)

Randy Clayton
06-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Jerry is corect check those findings;and just another thing I would look out for on your inspections ive found many gas log fireplaces with zip screws put into the side of flues to secure straps;)

Randy Aldering
06-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Any way it is sliced, it looks like either the code inspector was not thinking, or there is some fact not yet revealed. Those plans had to have been reviewed.

The unit was not fully visible - covered with plastic sheeting and waiting for finish work around the fireplace on the interior. But the information that I have is that it is a manufactured gas fireplace.

Even if it is a direct vent unit, the vent termination does not appear to meet standards. (In this case, the Michigan Residential Code)

Michael Larson
06-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Even if it is a direct vent unit, the vent termination does not appear to meet standards. (In this case, the Michigan Residential Code)Since we don't have sufficient info to determine if this install is in line with the manufacturer's instructions, what does "Michigan's Residential Code" have to say about this install?

Just trying to understand where you are coming from.:)

Randy Aldering
06-13-2008, 06:23 PM
So far, one code inspector is saying that the 10-2 rule does not apply, and another is saying it does. The mfr. guidelines supplied by the builder does not mention the 10-2 rule, but mentions checking local codes in the fine print. It boggles my mind as to why the 10-2 rule would not apply. Even if the fireplace is classified as a direct-vent appliance, they are not utilizing that type of vent. The builder provided only the venting information, and not the mfr., model, or any other information - so far.