PDA

View Full Version : Deck framing

wayne soper
05-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Here's an unusual framing area found at a home today.
The deck supposedly had a permit, where from there I don't know but I think they layed these flat to allow headroom for the door access to the left.
What were they thinking?
interested in your comments. I have many in my report.
Big sag too. Guess where?

Bruce Breedlove
05-01-2007, 06:14 PM
That is certainly non-typical framing. The joists laid flat are on the same spacing as the joists oriented vertically (albeit with a smaller span). I don't see any joist hangers at the right end of these joists. And the beam supporting these joists (left side of photo) also appears to have a significant chunk removed from the bottom edge (again, possibly for headroom).

It is not your call as a home inspector to say the deck is or is not structurally sound as built. I would recommend that you note the non-standard framing practices and the notched beam and recommend the deck be inspected by a qualified professional.

By the way, check out Brian's link to an article on "May Is Deck Safety Month".

Mike Huppi
05-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Yeh here is another book I have to order, Thanks

Jerry Peck
05-02-2007, 05:56 AM
TIt is not your call as a home inspector to say the deck is or is not structurally sound as built. I would recommend that you note the non-standard framing practices and the notched beam and recommend the deck be inspected by a qualified professional.

If you are going to recommend the deck "be inspected" by a qualified professional, that means you "did not inspect it", otherwise you are charging your client to inspect it, and then telling them to pay someone else "to inspect it".

As a home inspection professional, you should be able to tell if the deck 'looks right' or if it does not. If it does not, then recommend a structural engineer design appropriate repairs. Not "a qualified professional" as your client may end up with the "qualified professional" being the contractor who constructed it. You want to recommend a "structure engineer", and, instead of recommending what type or repair is needed, you are recommending that the structural engineer "design appropriate repairs" - meaning the repairs is up to the engineer who is going to sign and seal those designed repairs.

wayne soper
05-02-2007, 06:49 AM
Yes, correct Jerry, Thankyou. That's what I did.