View Full Version : Mercury brand gas monitor

Scott Dana
06-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Has anyone come across what appears to be a type of gas monitor with the brand name Mercury? I will try and upload a photo, but it looked to be the kind of monitoring system you see used on polygraphs and those used to detect earthquakes with the floating bar that moves. Not sure what the heck it's for. Thanks for the help.

Caoimhín P. Connell
06-11-2008, 07:51 AM
Good morning, Scott:

I have frequently encountered (and used) these types of recording devices. Essentially the recorder can be hooked up to a variety of sensors – usually meteorological in nature, and they are useful in that they provide long-term recording. They are a bit old school (perhaps rather like me), and I have used them to record wind speed/direction (“wind roses”) and barometric pressures.

I suspect the homeowner was a weather buff, and used it for the same thing – although I cant make out the units on the paper.

Caoimh*n P. Connell
Forensic Industrial Hygienist
Forensic Industrial Hygiene (http://www.forensic-applications.com)

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)


Jim Luttrall
06-11-2008, 08:56 AM
I can't vouch for the brand, but it looks similar to ones used in commercial refrigeration for diagnosing issues. Most common is a temperature logger but as Caoimh*n indicated different sensors could be used for different purposes.