PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Rental Homes - what classification?

Dyer Francisco
06-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Hello - I am looking specifically at one category of homes, thinking about a new locking product (late night dreaming...) that would be sold to vacation homes. Question (first one, there are likley to be more):

- what classification of dwelling would these fall under from a requirements perspective?

Would I need to conform to hotel/motel requirements or residential home requirements, or other?

Thanks!

Dyer

Jim Luttrall
06-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Dryer, I am having a hard time understanding your question.
If you are asking what building code a vacation or rental property falls under, there is no real answer to that since a vacation home could be anything from a mobile home to a high rise. A little more clarification would be helpful.

Dyer Francisco
06-11-2008, 09:18 AM
sure... this will be applicable to two main types of dwellings: single family homes used at least a portion of the year as rentals - could be one week a year or 9 months, and potentially in high-rise condos as well which are used in the same manner.

Thanks,
Dyer

Jim Luttrall
06-11-2008, 09:29 AM
If I am understanding your interest as developing a locking device, there is not a lot in the residential code except to say what it can't do. Paraphrasing here, you have got to be able to get outside the building without the use of a tool, key, or special knowledge. A little variation on the other occupancy classes.
Does that help?

Dyer Francisco
06-11-2008, 09:44 AM
Thanks - does turning a deadbolt (non key from interior) constitute 'special knowledge?'

David Banks
06-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks - does turning a deadbolt (non key from interior) constitute 'special knowledge?'
To Some:)
No.