PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Clearance

Nick Ostrowski
06-12-2008, 04:26 AM
What is the minimum distance a high efficiency furnace combustion exhaust pipe should be located away from an operable window? This is a bedroom window next to the pipe.

And yes, I did call out the burglar bars for removal.

John Arnold
06-12-2008, 05:00 AM
Nick - I think that's up to the manufacturer, but I can't believe in any case it would be less than 12 inches.

Bruce Ramsey
06-12-2008, 05:21 AM
Don't forget to mention the minimum 24" distance between adjoining HVAC units.

Jerry Peck
06-12-2008, 07:14 AM
And 12" clearance to the wall.

And 36" clearance (working space) from the service side (toward the window in this case).

And the disconnect which is partially blocked by the right condenser unit (disconnect just outside photo on right side).

Also, if that is the emergency egress, getting out, or being rescued, will be a greater problem with that a/c condenser right there, forgetting about the noise factor right outside that window, and the air being discharged from the top of the condenser unit with that window open.

Rick Hurst
06-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Looks as if the condensing unit is also setting upon a wooden base or pallet.

What happens when it rots out from under it?

rick

Billy Stephens
06-12-2008, 02:22 PM
What happens when it rots out from under it?

rick

No worries, It'll be at the Metal Scrap Yard [ cooper thieves] Long before that happens. :)

Markus Keller
06-12-2008, 05:00 PM
I wouldn't go by any code reference unless it was printed last week.
The city and various municipalities up here have made numerous ongoing changes to what is allowed for 90+ venting.
I would (and do) call the local muni for updates.
Over the last few years there have been to many complaints from neighbors about odors/fumes/dripping condensation/etc. coming at/into windows.
Depending on variables 3-4' from any opening is now standard here.

Ron Hasil
06-13-2008, 07:16 AM
The exhaust vent should be 4 feet below or to the side from any doors or windows. Or 12 inches above said openings per most manufacture suggustions. But I would check with the local codes as they may require more of a distance.