PDA

View Full Version : Flex connector near gas logs?

Trent Tarter
06-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Todays inspection had a fireplace converted to gas logs. The flexible connector was not to far from the flame. This just does not look safe to me. In case your wandering what that stuff is below it is vermiculite and yes I will be mentioning it to my client.

Jerry Peck
06-12-2008, 07:06 PM
In case your wandering what that stuff is below it is vermiculite

No photo, but that is what creates the "burning embers" look.

It is *supposed to* be there.

Trent Tarter
06-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Woops here's the photo.
Todays inspection had a fireplace converted to gas logs. The flexible connector was not to far from the flame. This just does not look safe to me. In case your wandering what that stuff is below it is vermiculite and yes I will be mentioning it to my client.

Billy Stephens
06-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Looks [Bubba] Home Made to me.

Ron Bibler
06-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Say billy. thats some funny stuf. your images/cartoons.

do you get that from a web site?

Ron

Billy Stephens
06-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Say billy. thats some funny stuf. your images/cartoons.

do you get that from a web site?

Ron

Animated Avatars [ several sites ]

Jerry Peck
06-13-2008, 05:52 AM
In case your wandering what that stuff is below it is vermiculite and yes I will be mentioning it to my client.

"and yes I will be mentioning it to my client."

You need to check first, I repeat:

that is what creates the "burning embers" look.

It is *supposed to* be there.

Depending on the log set, that comes with it and creates the "burning embers" effect. In which case it is supposed to be there.

Ron Hasil
06-13-2008, 06:58 AM
I have ran into the flex connectors on log lighters/ gas log fireplaces. I went ahead and hard piped it all in black pipe. Better safe than sorry. I also ran into soldered copper pipe. Which is a real bad idea since the heat would melt the solder.

Bob Harper
06-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Read the package on log lighters and it will state to hard pipe it only.

Dormont makes a line of flex connectors just for fireplaces. They even painted them black at my suggestion so I wouldn't have to. They are approved for use in fireplaces as long as you do not have direct flame impingement. The biggest hazard I see with flex to logs is violating the bending radius (golf ball). I see a lot of real tight candy canes....

As for the burner media, you have multiple applications. The old "sand pan" burners used special silica sand for NG and specially graded vermiculite for LP. Then, you place little tufts of rockwool/ mineral fiber insulation over the sand to produce 'glowing embers'. Most box-type burners allow embers on the burner next to the burner ports (holes) without actually blocking the ports. If you pile up the embers over the ports, you increase the port loading pressures and can cause several problems including sooting, delayed ignition and premature failure of components. When I find too much ember material over the burner ports, I refer to it as a "dead squirrel" because that's what it looks like to me.

Some mfrs. provide volcanic rock and vermiculite to scatter on the floor around the burner to simulate ash. This material is never placed directly on the burner. The presences of vermiculite is not a hazard or problem unless it is inappropriately applied per the listed instructions. They use rock more often now because it doesn't blow around the way vermiculite does. This is a good indicator of negative pressure problems when they complain of vermiculite on the hearth extension every morning.
HTH,
Bob