PDA

View Full Version : Cut truss

JIM MURPHY
06-15-2008, 06:59 AM
Inspected a house yesterday and found this in the attic. The air/handler is mounted below this cut truss on a stand. They connected a strap to the main truck line to hold or sercure the line. Other then being wrong what else would you say?

Jim Murphy

Darren Miller
06-15-2008, 07:04 AM
Here's my standard marco:

[0007]Trusses have been cut or altered at ^location^, this may compromise the integrity of the structure. According to today's standard "Truss members and components shall not be cut, notched, spliced or otherwise altered in any way without approval of a registered design professional..." I recommend having any repairs verified by a licensed PE with a copy of his approval stapled to the (damaged) truss in case this question arises when future sales occur.

Funny, I had an inspection several weeks ago that had four cut trusses; two for the pull down ladder and two for the whole house fan. Got the standard answer from the reeeeeltor; house was built that way and passed the town inspection.

imported_John Smith
06-15-2008, 09:07 AM
That broken switch cover needs replaced. Its amazing to see the truss cut so cleanly. Usually it looks like they take hatchets to them.

Rick Hurst
01-15-2009, 08:28 PM
How can you get all those boxes in the attic if you don't cut out those trusses? Get em on out of there.:eek:

rick

Jerry Peck
01-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Rick,

Dang builder shoulda knowd bettar dan to put that thar wood in da way anyway, rit?

Howard Tennyson
01-16-2009, 04:55 AM
The homeowners may have needed a Yule Log for Christmas day and thought "Hey, there's a bunch of wood in the attic!" :)

A.D. Miller
01-16-2009, 05:55 AM
Inspected a house yesterday and found this in the attic. The air/handler is mounted below this cut truss on a stand. They connected a strap to the main truck line to hold or sercure the line. Other then being wrong what else would you say?

Jim Murphy

Jim:

The obvious truss touche -

R802.7.2 Engineered wood products. Cuts, notches and
holes bored in trusses, structural composite lumber, structural
glue-laminated members or I-joists are prohibited except
where permitted by the manufacturer’s recommendations or
where the effects of such alterations are specifically considered
in the design of the member by a registered design professional.

The obvious switch plate problem -
404.9 Provisions for General-Use Snap Switches.
(A) Faceplates. Faceplates provided for snap switches mounted in boxes and other enclosures shall be installed so as to completely cover the opening and, where the switch is flush mounted, seat against the finished surface.

The obvious roof decking dilemna -
OSB sheathing/decking cannot be installed in sections less than 24" in width. Can't find the APA doc just now. Gotta go to work soon . . .

A.D. Miller
01-16-2009, 06:05 AM
Can't find the text, but found the picture -

Jerry Peck
01-16-2009, 07:06 AM
The obvious roof decking dilemna -

OSB sheathing/decking cannot be installed in sections less than 24" in width. Can't find the APA doc just now. Gotta go to work soon . . .

Can't find the text, but found the picture -

Also note in that drawing where it states "Each piece must be continuous over at least two spans." That's because that is the way it was rated.

Which means minimum length is 48" for the typical 24" o.c. roof framing, unless another *structural* framing blocking is installed.

Which brings up another pet peeve: sheathing which does not reach the top chord of the truss so they just nail another 2x4 to the side of the top chord with two or three nails and then nail the end of the sheathing to it.

You really think that 2x4 with those two or three nails is equivalent to being nailed to the truss (or rafter)? Heck no, that piece of wood will pull right off when the roof sheathing is placed under design loading.

A.D. Miller
01-16-2009, 07:14 AM
Which brings up another pet peeve: sheathing which does not reach the top chord of the truss so they just nail another 2x4 to the side of the top chord with two or three nails and then nail the end of the sheathing to it.

You really think that 2x4 with those two or three nails is equivalent to being nailed to the truss (or rafter)? Heck no, that piece of wood will pull right off when the roof sheathing is placed under design loading.

JP: I see this on every other house. It's a Mexican carpentero cult ritual, I think. If you lie on your back in the attic and look at all of the 2X4s thusly place it spells out the following:

Mas Que un Carpentero

or, if you press 1 on your phone, that reads More than a carpenter . . .:D

grace holt
01-22-2009, 04:11 PM
JP: I see this on every other house. It's a Mexican carpentero cult ritual, I think. If you lie on your back in the attic and look at all of the 2X4s thusly place it spells out the following:

Mas Que un Carpentero

or, if you press 1 on your phone, that reads More than a carpenter . . .:D

Hate speech is not tolerated by the U.S. Constitution. Please refrain from it.

MaMa Mount
01-22-2009, 04:18 PM
Welcome to the Board Grace.

Now tell us why your really here.

Paul Kondzich
01-22-2009, 04:46 PM

Hey Grace, first post and you handle it like that. Relax will you!

Ron Bibler
01-22-2009, 04:54 PM
http://image.com.com/tv/images/genie_images/video/2006/b/beavisbutt_s6e154_medvid.jpg (http://www.tv.com/video/6128/101/3417/no-service-episode-clip?o=tv&tag=show_summary;video;thumb) Give a speech :D ya ya ya Give a speech...

Ya ya we need a speech.............. dis dat and de oter ting.....

Best

Ron

Jerry Peck
01-22-2009, 05:49 PM

That's not "hate speech" and that is tolerated by the U.S. Constitution, in fact, the U.S. Constitution guarantees the right to speak freely of your ideas.

The U.S. Constitution actually defends the rights of those who say much worse to say much worse.

Not saying I always agree with being able to speak your piece, but, that is - to a point - provided for in the U.S. Constitution.

Jerry Peck
01-22-2009, 05:51 PM
Grace,

Also, please click on the 'User CP' link at the left end of the menu across the top and enter your city, "Florida" is a big state.

Billy Stephens
01-22-2009, 06:30 PM
You must be thinking of The Laws in Britain and Canada.
* if you call someone a Politically Incorrect Name they can lock you up.:eek:

Jerry Peck
01-22-2009, 06:38 PM

I find it strange that a stranger (lurker) comes on, makes their first post and tells regulars (a regular) to "Please refrain from it." because (I guess) they don't want to read it. The answer is really simple ... Don't read it.

What's so hard about that?

Next thing you know she'll tell us our hair is not combed properly and not to sit in front of the monitor until we comb our hair the way she likes it.

Billy Stephens
01-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Next thing you know she'll tell us our hair is not combed properly and not to sit in front of the monitor until we comb our hair the way she likes it.
Jerry, ( man I know your retired )

But

I've been meaning to Speak with You about That !
* and would it kill Ya to Shave every now and then ? :D

Bill Walker
01-23-2009, 09:37 AM
Not only is her concept of the Constitution warped, so is her understanding of 'hate speech'.