PDA

View Full Version : Correct term for thermal window "gasket"

Michael Thomas
06-17-2008, 06:05 AM
What is the correct term for the rubber "gasket" which secures a thermal window pane into its frame?

Also. come to think of it, is it "window pane" or "windowpane"?

Rick Hurst
06-17-2008, 06:24 AM
It's window pane.

The seal itself is just known as the air seal I believe. Maybe not.

rick

Michael Thomas
06-17-2008, 07:56 AM
This is the component in question... of course, its the only one that's not labeled... :(

Billy Stephens
06-17-2008, 08:17 AM
What is the correct term for the rubber "gasket" which secures a thermal window pane into its frame?

Thermal pane sealing gasket [ works for me. ] :)

Rick Hurst
06-17-2008, 08:17 AM
Michael,

Google "swiggle seal"

No, its not a joke.

Maybe thats what your looking for.

Jerry Peck
06-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Michael,

Google "swiggle seal"

No, its not a joke.

Maybe thats what your looking for.

Nope. That's a type of "insulating glass edge seal system" (from their web site).

I would go with "weather seal" when referring to the outer "rubber "gasket" which secures a thermal window pane into its frame".

There are "wet" seals and "dry" seals. "Dry" seals are those rubber one which are placed into the frame, while "wet" seals are "wet" applied sealant which is forced into the joint from a sealant (caulking type) gun, frequently those guns are pneumatically powered.

Steven Turetsky
06-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Hi Guys,

How has everyone been?

It is called "glazing vinyl". It is a one piece "u" shaped strip that fits over the IGU (insulated glass unit) and the frame is pushed over it.

When glazing flush glazing (store fronts) there are two separate strips. One gets installed into the frame prior to the glass lite or IGU being installed and the second gets installed after the lite is in place.

If you ever need any, go to crlaurence.com