PDA

View Full Version : Is this insulation?

Rick Burkman
06-17-2008, 10:28 AM
I inspected a house yesterday that had a type of insulation that I have not seen before. It looked like cotton batting in long, tubes of thin perforated red plastic. The material was all white, relatively fine, not coarse like normal fiberglass insulation, and the tubes were laid between the joists. The photo shows some of the insulation that was stuffed in place above the attic access stairs. Any idea what this is? Thanks!

Dom D'Agostino
06-17-2008, 10:38 AM
It looks like bagged fiberglass insulation. Made by several companies, it is sized to fit into wall cavities or joist spaces for the DIY crowd. The plastic keeps the "itch factor" down while installing the stuff.

Dom.

Randy Clayton
06-17-2008, 08:48 PM
It is a type of fiberglass I rann across this a few weeks ago.

Scott Patterson
06-17-2008, 09:22 PM
I inspected a house yesterday that had a type of insulation that I have not seen before. It looked like cotton batting in long, tubes of thin perforated red plastic. The material was all white, relatively fine, not coarse like normal fiberglass insulation, and the tubes were laid between the joists. The photo shows some of the insulation that was stuffed in place above the attic access stairs. Any idea what this is? Thanks!

Yep it is made by Owens Corning. Sold at the Big Box stores. It really works well. It comes in a box and once you open it and take off the outside wrap it just about triples in size. The red plastic acts like a vapor barrier but it does not matter what side you place it on. I have used it on a few projects. I think it has an R19 rating.

Rick Burkman
06-18-2008, 05:09 AM
Thanks everyone - I learn something new everyday out there (and here!).

Rick

Jerry Peck
06-18-2008, 05:30 AM
I wonder how that red plastic does when laid over and around recessed lights ...