PDA

View Full Version : Window safety locks

Jeff Eastman
05-02-2007, 02:02 PM

Jerry Peck
05-02-2007, 02:10 PM
I would classify that as "special knowledge" as it is "in addition to" the lock provided on the window itself, during an emergency, one will open the lock provided on the window itself, then wonder 'WHY TO F@#! ISN'T THIS WINDOW OPENING!', thereby losing precious seconds of escape time.

Also, have you ever found one of those screwed in so tight you had to use your pliers to turn it loose? Corroded or otherwise stuck in its threads?

Rick Cantrell
05-02-2007, 03:14 PM
In addition to what Jerry said.
It cannot be that you have to use a tool, any tool, even a screwdriver is a tool.

Tim Moreira
05-02-2007, 11:56 PM
Those are almost, but not quite as bad, as the security bars that are mounted to the outside of the windows.

In a real panic, you may not even remember they are even there. Then you will be left saying the same thing Jerry stated:
'WHY TO F@#! ISN'T THIS WINDOW OPENING!'

Jerry Peck
05-03-2007, 07:35 AM
There the type of screws that you just twist on and off with your hand.

Those are the ones I am referring to.

No others should be used, period, in my opinion. I've seen the set screw type - trying finding a hex wrench for them, and them try finding one the correct size, then try to dig the crud out so the wrench can go in ... never mind, you are already dead by now ...

Jerry McCarthy
05-03-2007, 09:55 AM
I recall somebody on this BB referring to rooms with EE/escape windows so equipped as "Fry Room #! and "Fry Room #2?" ;) ;)