PDA

View Full Version : Alarm light?

K Robertson
06-19-2008, 05:52 AM
What is this? This is the second one I've seen this year and still can't figure out what it is. Any ideas? I couldn't find any wires to trace where it went. Does not appear to be part of an alarm system as neither house had alarms.

Jerry Peck
06-19-2008, 06:47 AM
Did they have medical panic buttons in the master bedroom?

I did a couple of subdivisions in South Florida years ago which had those (or something like them) mounted on the front of the garage fascia.

I was told that they were to let anyone know when the medical panic alarm was pushed so they (neighbors, etc.) could come over, even before the rescue unit arrived, the flashing light would also make finding the house quicker during the day, and especially at night, instead of looking just for an address.

That's what I was told anyway.

K Robertson
06-19-2008, 07:37 AM
Interesting concept. I don't remember seeing any type of panic switches. I usually try to operate all switches or at least figure out what they are. Maybe this was connected somehow to a "I've fallen and can't get up" button the resident wore. It was the house of an elderly woman. Something to check on if I see it again. Thanks!

Scott Patterson
06-19-2008, 07:53 AM
Yes, it is an alarm light. It is so that the emergency folks can find the home at night. All they have to do is look for the flashing light. They were real popular before the 911 system was in place around the country. Most of the ones I have seen are blue in color and were mounted under the soffit on a part of the home that can be seen from the street..

Jerry Peck
06-19-2008, 09:13 AM
They were real popular before the 911 system was in place around the country.

Scott,

The ones I saw were in a new subdivision, maybe the oldest houses were 2000, no older.

Most of the ones I have seen are blue in color and were mounted under the soffit on a part of the home that can be seen from the street..

I've seen blue, red, amber, all on the same street.

I guess it was 'gimme whatever is in stock'. :confused:

Steve Lowery
06-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Did you check the other side of the chimney for a reindeer's ass?

Bob Harper
06-19-2008, 12:52 PM
I hope you called out that screen over the listed termination.
Bob

Jerry Peck
06-19-2008, 02:16 PM
I hope you called out that screen over the listed termination.
Bob

Bob,

That looks to be one of those square metal brick-look painted things (technical term) ... don't know if they are listed or not.