PDA

View Full Version : Name for this OLD loose insulation?

Peter Wigle
06-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Found this in the attic of a 140 year old house. Combination of wood shavings, vermiculite (if it can be white), and some hard bits of stuff which looks like plaster mud or stone/mineral. Is there a name for this mixture, or is it just some random by-product?

Thanks,

Gunnar Alquist
06-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Peter,

You run into some weird stuff! I would say it is a composite of vermiculite and wood shavings and be done with it. Probably not enough insulation anyway.

Jon Randolph
06-26-2008, 03:45 AM
Possibly asbestos containing material.

Jerry Peck
06-26-2008, 07:03 AM
Peter,

I would simply describe it as you did, then add Gunnar's and Jon's comments:

Attic Insulation:

Combination of wood shavings, vermiculite (if it can be white), and some hard bits of stuff which looks like plaster mud or stone/mineral. Is there a name for this mixture, or is it just some random by-product,

Probably not enough insulation anyway.

Possibly asbestos containing material.

Pretty much describes it, advises it is likely not of much use, and warns as to what *it might* contain.

The only other thing I would add is "Potentially a fire hazard." When talking with your client, if you tested it to see if it ignites, you could say 'Makes good kindling for starting fires. I tested some outside, want to see it go up in flames?'

Did you try to ignite some (not in the attic, of course, but outside)?

Markus Keller
06-26-2008, 07:04 AM
Agree with Gunnar, looks like vermiculite with other stuff. Tell the client to have it tested. They can put some in a baggie and send it off to a lab. Costs about 50-75 bucks around here.

Jon Randolph
06-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Agree with Gunnar, looks like vermiculite with other stuff. Tell the client to have it tested. They can put some in a baggie and send it off to a lab. Costs about 50-75 bucks around here.

Keep in mind that a negative test for asbestos does not mean that asbestos is not present in the vermiculite, only that it wasn't found in the sample submitted and analyzed.