PDA

View Full Version : EIFS Help

Bill Payne
06-26-2008, 08:21 AM
I inspected a house with what I believe to be stucco covering the foundation walls to grade and EIFS on framing. Not sure if these (photos) are EIFS weep holes. They are installed at a uniform height and spacing spanning the entire wall. They look to be right at or above the floor plate.

Thanks,

John Carroll
06-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Bill,
First off, where is this at?
Secondly, it's not typical to see a lace or skip trowel texture with E.I.F.S in general, altho it's possible, depending on where you're at. Unless you are certain on your identification, I'd recommend having an expert look at it.

In general, taking any cladding completely down to grade is a bad idea because it gives the wall a constant source of moisture from which to draw, never a good thing. The holes probably are for drainage, but that doesn't remedy the above problem.

How old is this building?
If relatively new(2yrs) it probably hasn't had time to show any damage that is probably occuring behind the cladding. If IR testing shows a problem in the making, your course should be clear.

When in doubt, refer an expert.

Bill Payne
06-26-2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks,

Property is located just north west of Austin TX. Built in the late 90s. Walls are hollow sounding, foundation sections are very solid. I have inspected EIFS before but this one is different as you mentioned.

Jerry Peck
06-26-2008, 07:45 PM
Built in the late 90s. Walls are hollow sounding, foundation sections are very solid.

Bill,

Maybe it is an ICF house?

ICF (Insulated Concrete Forms) houses have a hollow sound and would go (should not, but typically would) down even to the foundation as shown.

That would feel solid at the foundation/slab and sound hollow above.

They also have stucco with a texture like that too.

Randy Clayton
06-26-2008, 07:51 PM
From those photos it apears to me that it looks as if they were anchor bolt holes not drains. There should never be any holes;especially on efics sytems on the sides of the structure.

Billy Stephens
06-26-2008, 07:57 PM
From those photos it appears to me that it looks as if they were anchor bolt holes not drains.
Decorative Lighting Holders. :D

Randy Clayton
06-26-2008, 08:11 PM
so what do you think? you said nothing though I think you said enough.

Jerry Peck
06-26-2008, 08:23 PM

Any one else noticing this trend which has developed here recently (last few months or so) where, if one does not like another's post, they post a snide comment about it?

The above is just one example of what has been going on which did not used to go on.

Seems like some are just not good at 'plays well with others' in the sandbox here.

Billy Stephens
06-26-2008, 08:36 PM
The Posted Picture is what the holes look like to me.

Plastic Anchor's most likely put there by the home owner to hang his/her Christmas decorations or other festive outdoor items.
Decorative Lighting Holders ( Was A Statement = Saying something.)

Randy Clayton
06-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Jerry,I do not know if you were inquireing about me?
Iwas just stating the facts if Bill saw what i saw and i think he did and needed no further explanation!

John Carroll
06-27-2008, 09:47 AM
They might be wall anchors, maybe an inquiry to the previous owner might shed some light...In any case, you should make mention and cite local or IRC code about the stucco below grade. I'm pretty sure there is no exception for IFC walls to this, but you should check the local codes in case.
Even if they allow it, it's not a good idea because it will lead to a weakened system over time.
What did they do at the slab locations at the entry or patios? Do you have any other pictures?

carl brown
07-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Onecote stucco.