View Full Version : What is this crap?

Thom Walker
05-02-2007, 10:35 PM
From yesterday's job. What is this stuff? It may have supposed to have been EIFS, but if it was, it was the worst imitation I've ever seen, so I suspect it was something else.

The description:

1994 build
The outer layer was about the consistency and thickness of high quality Latex paint.
Styrofoam underneath.
No drainage planes
No screen
No moisture barrier or vapor barrier found
I could push on it and it had the same feel as a good quality stadium cushion.

Tim Moreira
05-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Looks like EIFS to me.

Very common in the hospital I worked at. I have seen the same kinda damage there too.

Mike Huppi
05-03-2007, 07:43 AM
Out here in the NW we have had a lot of problems with EIFS and along with it comes carpenter ants, mold, and rot. Those areas around the window do not look good at all, did you use a moisture meter on it. Any time I have a home with EIFS and I see that before I do the inspection I tell them to have a EIFS specialist come out and inspect it before I even come out. Due to the high cost of replacement and possible underlying damage a lot of people back out of the deal and then I just saved them some money. They can be more invasive than we can. Very little of the stuff lasts out here because of the moisture and poor installation.

Thom Walker
05-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Thanks for your responses.

Let me ask another way. This is an EIFS system by virtue of the fact that it employs styrofoam on the outside of the building to provide insulation. However, it is no recognized application; that is, not by EDI, not by Driv-it, not by Sto.

Is there a Company somewhere that does produce what I saw AND does promote the application of the products using the methods I presented in the first post?

Re: the moisture meter question , Mike; no, I didn't use my moisture meter. In this case it was unnecessary. I can see the damage and I feel comfortable stating that it is, at least in part, due to moisture penetration. It's kind of like seeing rotted roof decking where shingles are missing. You have a pretty good idea that the roof has leaked without using your moisture meter. The only thing this stuff was missing was a label stating "Pour water here."

Scott Patterson
05-04-2007, 08:40 AM
It looks like the foam might be Polyiso board. This type of foam board has a very thin fiberglass like finish on it to provide strength. Also called Quick-R and a few other brand names. Most of the Big EIFS manufactures (Sto, Pleko, Drivet, US Gypsum) had systems like this back in the mid 1990's. They stayed around for a couple of years and were taken out of production. In some cases the polyiso foam board were nailed directly to the studs with no wooden substrate. It does not have any mesh. The finish coat was applied directly to the foam board

The lamina (finish coat) peels off like an egg shell. Another issue with this type of system is that it is virtually unrepairable. You have to tear it off and start over.

Sprint System was one brand name.

Jerry Peck
05-04-2007, 08:54 AM
All done in the name of providing the average American with their shot at the American Dream - owning their own home.

Git R up and git r dun, fast.

Turn that American Dream of owning your own home into a Nightmare.

Did those companies really do ANY investigation into whether or not those products would actually perform?

Thom Walker
05-04-2007, 08:55 AM
Thanks, Scott. That's what I was looking for.