PDA

View Full Version : Flashing do you see anything

Ron Bibler
06-27-2008, 09:53 PM
The sub-structure has water stains to the ply-wood backing. 20 feet below. the adjacent interior walls show no water stains. No moisture due to No rain 60 plus days.

Any ideas. This looks like there should be flashing from behind and over the lower shingles.

Best

Ron

Gunnar Alquist
06-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Ron,

I hate that kind of installation. So many things can go wrong. Architects... Oy!

I would expect flashings, but you might not see them if the shingles are lapped over them. If you are seeing stains, leaking is likely. I once (maybe more than once) made the wrong assumption and said probably old stains. Needless to say, it did leak at the next rain.

Note stains and likely leaking and recommend repairs. If the seller says that it has been fixed, the seller should provide documentation. But, you knew that already.

Was this the one in foreclosure? Doesn't look like a river home.

Ron Bibler
06-27-2008, 10:58 PM
Thanks gunnar. no this is up off hwy 12 and montgomery on the hill behind jack in the box. Karl and i inspected this the other day just getting around to this report 26 pager.

Ya i got a problem with the round room.

Dude good to see you today.

Thanks for the info.

Best

Ron

Markus Keller
06-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Where the round meets the flat of the balconies looks like a great water entry point even if there is flashing under the shingles. Especially at the bottom corner the curve sits positive to the vertical flat balcony essentially creating a shelf for water to collect.
- Is the bottom of those balconies concrete? Are there drains? If there aren't drains any water accumulation could be weeping over to the wall when the concrete is soaked.

Jay Barnett
06-28-2008, 01:36 PM
NO rain for 60 days!!! where do i move to? I think its rained here in kansas city most of the last 60 days!

Ron Bibler
06-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Calif. boy Calif.:)

Best

Ron

Steve Lowery
06-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Hey, Ron, what's the air like over there today? I'm in the big valley due east of you. Yesteday was like an eclipse. Hazy view even @ one block.

Ron Bibler
06-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Its been nice out today. we got an onshore wind to blow out the smoke.

around 70 or so.

Best

Ron

Ron Bibler
06-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Where the round meets the flat of the balconies looks like a great water entry point even if there is flashing under the shingles. Especially at the bottom corner the curve sits positive to the vertical flat balcony essentially creating a shelf for water to collect.
- Is the bottom of those balconies concrete? Are there drains? If there aren't drains any water accumulation could be weeping over to the wall when the concrete is soaked.

Thanks for the input. the balcony and upper decking systems are wood construction over steel framing. i do have water stains on the under sides of the soffits.

I would love to get some rain and go back to do an IR of this building.

The Flat roofing did look very good for 20 plus years.

Best

Ron