PDA

View Full Version : paint/stain wolmanized porches

Markus Keller
07-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Hey guys, anyone have any pdf's about the pros/cons of painting and/or staining wolmanized porches?
I've done some searches and can't really come up with anything legit. Mostly advertising crap.
Thanks, Markus
Oh, on a side note, yesterday's inspection. Average frame bungalow looked good from MLS pic's and drive-up, should have been OK. Ended up to be a 5 hour inspection. Defect summary ended up 5 pages alone. You just never know when looking at the surface.

Jim Robinson
07-03-2008, 02:11 PM
That's the same as pressure treated wood, correct? I painted my rental porch last fall, and it seems to be holding up just fine. I did let the lumber dry for a while before I primed and painted, because the wood was pretty wet when I got it from the lumber yard. It was sort of a test for me, because the other paint didn't hold up that great because of the UV, so I decided to prime everything before I put it together. Drying, priming and painting took a long time, and I may not bother next time, but I'll give it a few more summers before I make that decision.

The next porch may be a composite deck, or back to redwood, which I get much drier from the lumberyard.

Jim Luttrall
07-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Nothing to document, but I have always favored letting the lumber season so that the moisture content drops to a realistic level, no way paint will stick to wet lumber. Of course my personal choice is stain rather than paint, but the theory is the same.

Lee Nettnin
07-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Hi,
Wolmanized I believe is PT lumber with an added clear water proofer. Yes you can paint or stain it, but as Jim L. stated let it dry out for a month or 2.
Ever since the new restrictions on VOC's we can't buy the good oil base stains anymore. I prefer to use stain also because it is easier to recoat when needed (no or very little scraping). I have found that Sherwin Williams stands up very well. Be sure you get a product made for horizontal surfaces and is made for foot traffic.
Lee

Markus Keller
07-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Yes, wolmanized is PT, sorry for using the commercial name around here. I know about letting it dry out for a month or two. New bought/installed PT wood has too much moisture in it. The paint will just peel off as the moisture tries to escape. Stain ends up looking really blotchy and bad.
Condo Assoc. client is looking to do some work and wants info in writing so they can discuss at meeting.
Thanks so far.

Ted Menelly
07-03-2008, 06:36 PM
I've stained plenty of womanized decks and everything was fine :)

Do not put anything in writing. The wood is not just pressure treated but has a sealer on it as well. Almost like a Thompson water sealer. You should not try to stain it for a long time to come. Pressure treated wood on the other hand just needs to dry for a couple of months. I would strongly suggest that a solid color stain not be used. In the future they will regret it when it comes time for re-staining. Then, yes it will look uneven and blotchy. Suggest she use a semi transparent stain , it will look much nicer.

Just some thought

Ted

Jim Luttrall
07-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Wolmanized® Outdoor® Wood Use & Handling - Arch Wood Protection, Inc. (http://www.archchemicals.com/Fed/WOLW/Products/Preservative/Genuine/use-handling.htm?selLocation=paint.htm)
Wolmanized® Residential Outdoor® Wood: Use & Handling
Painting & Staining
You can stain or paint Wolmanized wood. You can also coat this wood with a water repellent; in fact, we highly recommend it. The best way to tackle these jobs depends on the wood you have, its exposure, and the coating you plan to use. Many light-colored latex paints can be used successfully following brush-application of an oil-based primer. Primer should not be applied by sprayer, nor should coatings be used if their manufacturer advises against a primer. Always follow the manufacturer's directions and take special care in sealing end grain, holes, and other penetrations with the primer.

How long must you wait before the wood is dry internally?
The time it takes for wood to dry out depends on the climate and the wood's exposure. In summer in the American southwest, deck lumber open to sunshine can dry in a few days. In cool, damp weather or when shaded by an overhanging roof or tree, it will take much longer for wood to dry. As a fairly safe average, we recommend waiting six months before applying paint.

Markus Keller
07-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Jim, thanks a lot! Great link. It's exactly the kind of info I need for them.

Jim Luttrall
07-04-2008, 11:45 AM
I am sure all HI's are aware of this, but be sure to use the correct terminology for your clients. Wolmanized lumber is a trademark of a particular brand, not a type of lumber. Just like Coke is a cola and Pampers are diapers. You would want to find out what the particular PT lumber manufacturer recommends along with the paint or stain manufacturer says. When you need specific recommendations, get specific instructions.

Ted Menelly
07-04-2008, 01:20 PM
I still like the term "womanized". In my life of lumber shopping i can tell you that if it had not been womanized at the lumber yard it will normall get womanized once the client (mostly woman) get a hold of it :)

Yes, what Jim said.

"You would want to find out what the particular PT lumber manufacturer recommends along with the paint or stain manufacturer says. When you need specific recommendations, get specific instructions."

Ted