PDA

View Full Version : Siding Interface with Chimney

Jeff Eastman
05-03-2007, 12:30 PM

Rick Cantrell
05-03-2007, 01:54 PM
All I can think of is wood trim, 2x2 or 2x4.
If any flashing is there it will be behind the siding.

Rick Cantrell
05-03-2007, 03:18 PM
"If there isn't any flashing between the hardiplank and the brick chimney (just caulk) wouldn't it just leak at some point?"

Yes, and every time it's painted (at the least) it will need to be resealed. A chimney can, does, and will move different than the house, sometimes a little sometimes more. There is nothing wrong with using the RIGHT caulk when APPLIED PROPERLY.

Jerry Peck
05-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Reviewing the James Hardie Hardieplank installation instructions shows that this detail is not addresses specifically, however, there is a detail which addresses 'similar' points of installation, that being "Clearances" "Maintain a minimum 2" clearance between James Hardie products and decks, paths, steps and driveways." "Figure 4".

Figure 4 shows that 2" clearance to both the horizontal surface and the vertical surface on steps (i.e., treads AND risers).

The riser (vertical) portion would be 'similar' to the vertical chimney, so, *in my opinion*, a trim should be installed between the Hardieplank and the chimney.

Or, send the photo and an e-mail to James Hardie and get the answer from the horses mouth.