PDA

View Full Version : Safety Glass ID

Jim McClendon
05-04-2007, 05:38 AM
Inspected a new house yesterday with great opening windows that start near the ceiling and stop (9") near the floor. Is there any way to determine if safety glass is present without the familiar etching in the corner? Suggestions?

Jerry Peck
05-04-2007, 06:11 AM
Inspected a new house yesterday with great opening windows that start near the ceiling and stop (9") near the floor. Is there any way to determine if safety glass is present without the familiar etching in the corner? Suggestions?

Yes.

Oh - you want to know. :D

First, though, is this: Those etchings *are required to be visible after glazing*, if those etchings are not visible after the glazing is installed, proceed to the second thing (get builder's permission before proceeding).

Second, strike the window with a hammer, *IF* the window shatters into thousands of tiny cube-like pieces, 'it WAS' safety glass, however, *IF* the window breaks into large shards, like it probably will, 'it WAS NOT' safety glass.

Third thing (follows second thing) is to replace the window with glazing 'which IS' safety glass.

From the IRC. (underlining is mine)
- SECTION R308

- - GLAZING

- - - R308.1 Identification. Except as indicated in Section R308.1.1 each pane of glazing installed in hazardous locations as defined in Section R308.4 shall be provided with a manufacturer’s designation specifying who applied the designation, designating the type of glass and the safety glazing standard with which it complies, which is visible in the final installation. The designation shall be acid etched, sandblasted, ceramic-fired, laser etched, embossed, or be of a type which once applied cannot be removed without being destroyed. A label shall be permitted in lieu of the manufacturer’s designation.

- - - - Exceptions:

- - - - - 1. For other than tempered glass, manufacturer’s designations are not required provided the building official approves the use of a certificate, affidavit or other evidence confirming compliance with this code.
- - - - - 2. Tempered spandrel glass is permitted to be identified by the manufacturer with a removable paper designation.

- - - - R308.1.1 Identification of multipane assemblies. Multipane assemblies having individual panes not exceeding 1 square foot (0.09 m2) in exposed area shall have at least one pane in the assembly identified in accordance with Section R308.1. All other panes in the assembly shall be labeled “16 CFR 1201.”

A example of applying R308.1.1 would be multipane doors, such as 12 lite French doors. ONE pane must have the full label, the rest of them must have "16 CFR 1201" MINIMUM on them.

I inspected a house once which had about 50, 15 lite French doors, and only one panel on each door was marked, and that one panel was marked "16 CFR 1201". NONE of those complied and ALL of them needed to be replaced. This was new construction.

Ouch!

Jim McClendon
05-04-2007, 06:33 AM
Thanks Jerry.

Joe Nernberg
05-10-2007, 08:10 AM
I recommend a Hart 22 ounce framing hammer for testing safety glass.

Tim Moreira
05-10-2007, 09:13 AM
Don't forget the safety glasses too.

Rick Hurst
05-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Just a reminder of why safety glass is important.

You just never know.

Jerry Peck
05-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Dang, Richard, I've never seen one fail the hammer test THAT BAD. :)

Tim Moreira
05-10-2007, 06:32 PM
I think that was a plane crash test. :(