PDA

View Full Version : Plastic uninion at copper line

Eric Shuman
05-04-2007, 05:44 AM
I know that connections between differing materials must be with an approved connector. I have no way of knowing if this connector is approved or not. Although the pipes being joined are both copper, now that they have installed a plastic union there are differing materials. Seems to me they should have used a copper uninon instead of plastic since both pipes being connected are copper. (one pipe is painted)

Input?

Thanks,

Eric

Jerry Peck
05-04-2007, 06:15 AM
That fitting looks like it was made for poly bute piping.

Without something which says 'can do' on it, I would say 'no can do' and it needs to be replaced.

That's not a gas line or a discharge from a T&P relief valve, is it?

Bob White
05-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Fitting like that were available for PB and copper in the mid- 90's in places like the Big Orange Box and Ace Hardware, etc.

Check these tees out.... the third legs are tee'd off to a homeowner installed washing machine supply....

I like the conductors he installed to insure continuity.... :D

Dom D'Agostino
05-04-2007, 02:49 PM
There are many after-market compression unions that are made to connect mutliple types of piping. That looks like one of the more common types around, but I can't say for sure.

Example:

for POLYBUTYLENE repair fittings - PlumbingStore.com (http://www.plumbingstore.com/polyb.html)

Bob Harper
05-04-2007, 04:49 PM
IFGC 403.11 Plastic pipe, joints, and fittings.

Basically says may be allowed it the longitudinal pull-out resistance equals the tubing; where compression joints, must be compatible with the tubing and the elastomeric seal must be compatible with the gas. This means you would have to identify the mfr., cross-reference this fitting with which type of copper (K,L or AC/R) and be lableled ASTM D-2513. There must be an internal stiffener which goes inside the tubing the length of the compression fitting and it cannot be split.

Also, it must be suitable for the class of service. Since this fitting is not parts of a listed system such as CSST, it cannot be located in concealed spaces.

Check out Permasert from Perfection Corp.

HTH

Eric Shuman
05-05-2007, 05:48 AM
All,

Thanks for the replies.

The copper pipe was part of a water supply loop added to install an "Aquefier" water heater assit unit that uses the heat from the a/c refrigerant line to boost the hot water supply. The "Aquefier" had been disconnected from the a/c line when the condensing unit was replaced at some point but the water loop piping was still in place.

I have seen these units before but I don't know how effective they are. See pics below.

Thanks, Eric

Eric Shuman
05-05-2007, 05:52 AM
Here's a link for the "Aquefier."

Trevor-Martin Corporation (http://www.trevormartin.com/aquefier_hru.asp)

Jerry Peck
05-05-2007, 05:55 AM
Eric,

It's a shame when those heat recovery units are disconnected and abandoned.

Typically, this is done by a/c technicians who scratch their heads when replacing the condenser unit and say 'what is that thing'.

They work VERY WELL if you use a/c or heat pump.

In South Florida, I know people would would turn off their water heater breaker and just use that to heat the water with.

We had one on our house down there and never had a problem with hot water, even when I did turn the breaker off to see what effect it had.

If you are in an area where the a/c runs during the day but not at night, then you would want to leave the breaker on, so the water heater kicks in at night as needed.

Eric Shuman
05-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Jerry,

Thanks for the info.

I will pass it along to my clients as they were curious about whether it was worth having it re-installed. I live in Austin, TX and people are very green builder and eco-conscious here, so they like anything that increases efficiency etc.

In the summertime here if you do not run the a/c night you will wake up in a pool of sweat!

Jerry wrote:

"Typically, this is done by a/c technicians who scratch their heads when replacing the condenser unit and say 'what is that thing'."

I kind of figured that is what happened with this one since the condenser was so new. The installation instructions were still with the unit and it did not appear to be a difficult install but I doubt the HVAC tech never even bothered.

Thanks,

Eric

Jerry Peck
05-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Eric,

Tell them to double check that it is still connected to the water heater first.

Usually, the refrigerant lines are just disconnected and the water lines are left connected. That is not a problem, just reconnect the refrigerant lines, adjusting the refrigerant to the correct pressures.

On occasion (rare in my experience) you will find what they did in the house we bought up here - the plumbing lines to the water heater were also disconnected (because the previous owner replaced the water heater).

My guess is that a previous owner replaced the a/c, which is when the heat recovery unit was removed from the refrigerant circuit. Then, the plumber who replaced the water heater traced the lines out and found the abandoned heat recovery unit, so they disconnected the plumbing lines ... and cut them off and poked them back into the wall/attic.

Now, it will be double trouble to try to re-connect it all.