PDA

View Full Version : Duct opening

Rick Maday
07-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Thoughts on why this would be like so.

All ducts on first floor (slab) were cut in various sizes - all smaller than the opening.

John Dirks Jr
07-12-2008, 11:08 PM
An obvious attempt to regulate ariflow. Why and to what end? I have no clue.

Rick Maday
07-12-2008, 11:12 PM
An obvious attempt to regulate ariflow. Why and to what end? I have no clue.

Thanks John.

What was more confusing is there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to the size of each cut out. 6 different vents all with different sized cut outs.

John Dirks Jr
07-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Did they reduce or increase in size( in pattern) relative to their distance from the air handler?

Rick Maday
07-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Did they reduce or increase in size( in pattern) relative to their distance from the air handler?

Not that I recall.
Thanks, John :rolleyes: now I do want to go back! ;)

I do know the first one (closest) was the smallest. The others were very random (and poorly cut).

It's either to balance the system or shoddy workmanship. :confused:

Jerry Peck
07-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Rick,

What was that 'greenish' duct made of?

The first thing which came to my mind was: "How in the heck did they attach the ducts together?"

As in "When ducts are connected together properly, the opening is cut to allow the ducts to be mechanically joined (required by code) and sealed (also required by code). As shown, there is no way to mechanically attach the duct together. Plus, how are they sealed together?"

Rick Maday
07-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Rick,

What was that 'greenish' duct made of?

The first thing which came to my mind was: "How in the heck did they attach the ducts together?"

As in "When ducts are connected together properly, the opening is cut to allow the ducts to be mechanically joined (required by code) and sealed (also required by code). As shown, there is no way to mechanically attach the duct together. Plus, how are they sealed together?"

Some type of plastic. House was on a slab.

Jerry Peck
07-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Some type of plastic. House was on a slab.

That's what I was thinking, a large PVC pipe.

*NO WAY* there is any "mechanical attachment" between that and the branch duct going to the supply opening.