PDA

View Full Version : NHIE exam

Brian Thomas
07-17-2008, 06:34 AM
Perhaps this should go into the education forum but since there hasnt been a post in that forum in 3 months, I didnt think it would even be seen and my exam is less than a week away. Aside from studying from my AHIT exam study guide and taking all the practice tests, I havent dont much else. I did read all he AHIT books however and know those fairly well but since alot of the questions on the practice tests were not even covered in the 7 books from AHIT, IM wondering what else I can do.

I know there are practice tests out there that I can pay to take but thats a bit expensive. My question is, is there anyone else out there that went thru AHIT's course and used their study guide for the NHIE? If so, how accurate was it and were the questions in the study guide relevant to the actual test? Thanks

David Banks
07-17-2008, 09:21 AM
Perhaps this should go into the education forum but since there hasnt been a post in that forum in 3 months, I didnt think it would even be seen and my exam is less than a week away. Aside from studying from my AHIT exam study guide and taking all the practice tests, I havent dont much else. I did read all he AHIT books however and know those fairly well but since alot of the questions on the practice tests were not even covered in the 7 books from AHIT, IM wondering what else I can do.

I know there are practice tests out there that I can pay to take but thats a bit expensive. My question is, is there anyone else out there that went thru AHIT's course and used their study guide for the NHIE? If so, how accurate was it and were the questions in the study guide relevant to the actual test? Thanks

Hi Brian. I passed it basically doing what you did. The study guide and AHIT books did help. I also recommend reading "The Illustrated Home" by Carson Dunlop. A lot will depend on any previous work experience also.
Passing the test is the easy part. Becoming a good inspector takes years of experience and dedication. When I am not working I am studying/reading on all subjects. This forum has lots of archived info also. Good luck.

Brian Thomas
07-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Thanks David! I did order the carson dunlop book however it has not arrived and probably wont arrive in time for the test. Its ok though. I feel I have a great grasp of all the info from the 7 AHIT books but the new construction code questions might present a problem!

David Banks
07-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Thanks David! I did order the carson dunlop book however it has not arrived and probably wont arrive in time for the test. Its ok though. I feel I have a great grasp of all the info from the 7 AHIT books but the new construction code questions might present a problem!

At a minimum you could pick up a copy of the 2006 IRC. I passed without knowing anything about codes but I can see now that code knowledge would have been very helpful and you will need it anyway as you progress in your HI career.

Deleted Account
07-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Hi Brian,

Yes the 2006 IRC is very good book to have in your library, but its not too good for exam prep. For building code reference I would go to the Code Check (http://www.codecheck.com/cc/index.html) series, that is most likely all you will need to get through the NHIE.

Good Luck - Joe.

David Banks
07-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Hi Brian,

Yes the 2006 IRC is very good book to have in your library, but its not too good for exam prep. For building code reference I would go to the Code Check (http://www.codecheck.com/cc/index.html) series, that is most likely all you will need to get through the NHIE.

Good Luck - Joe.

Good point.

Ted Menelly
07-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Go to Nachi.org You can take the test there for free as many times as you want. Basically they are the same questions. They change them all the time. No I am not pushing Nachi or anyone else for that matter.

As in any test, watch out for the answers. It is so easy to pic the wrong answer because of the wording. I personally hate multiple choice. Again the wording, backwards front wards side ways, one wrong word. I like to just answer the question with out second guessing myself.

Just keep going over the material. When you take the test just read the question carefully. Read the answers very carefully but don't spend all day. When you make a choice, stick to it. Don't make a little mark here and there on every question and think you can go back and do better. You will still be questioning yourself and maybe (I seriously doubt it) run out of time.

When I took my termite tech test I had the first four questions with a little mark next to what I thought was the answer. I stopped, thought a second, went back to number one and just answered all the questions and was the first one to finish out of what, maybe a 150 to 200 or more test takers. I passed with an 88 or something like that. Just study and do it.

Brian Thomas
07-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Hi Brian,

Good Luck - Joe.

Thanks guys...I just received 4 code check books in the mail today. Hopefully they will help out

Scott Patterson
07-18-2008, 07:14 AM
As others have said, the Code Checks will help you a goo deal. Also experience is the best teacher. If you go out with an experienced inspector a few times before you take the exam, you will learn more than from any book.

My best friends son did not pass the NHIE on his first try, he had problems with the electrical and structural parts of the exam. I really think he over studied for the exam. On the second try, he passed. He went out on some actual home inspections and was able to see many of the items he was having problems with up close and personal.

Keep in mind that the NHIE is looking for the best answer to the question. You will not have any "True/False" type questions or any "All of the above" or "None of the above". What you will find is a straight forward exam that will test your basic knowledge of the home inspection profession.

Brian Thomas
07-18-2008, 07:59 AM
As others have said, the Code Checks will help you a goo deal. Also experience is the best teacher. If you go out with an experienced inspector a few times before you take the exam, you will learn more than from any book.

My best friends son did not pass the NHIE on his first try, he had problems with the electrical and structural parts of the exam. I really think he over studied for the exam. On the second try, he passed. He went out on some actual home inspections and was able to see many of the items he was having problems with up close and personal.

Keep in mind that the NHIE is looking for the best answer to the question. You will not have any "True/False" type questions or any "All of the above" or "None of the above". What you will find is a straight forward exam that will test your basic knowledge of the home inspection profession.

The study guide I got thru AHIT has several practice tests in it, however many of them are true/false...none of the above and all of the above questions. I was under the impression that there would be several on the exam since they included so many in the study guide. Is that incorrect?

Jerry McCarthy
07-18-2008, 08:31 AM
National Home Inspector Examination - EBPHI - About Us (http://www.homeinspectionexam.org/about_us.php)

Scott Patterson
07-18-2008, 12:27 PM
The study guide I got thru AHIT has several practice tests in it, however many of them are true/false...none of the above and all of the above questions. I was under the impression that there would be several on the exam since they included so many in the study guide. Is that incorrect?

Jerry, posted a good link. Go to it and look at the exam content section. Also you might want to take the sample exam. It is not free, but it will give you the feel of the real exam. The questions on the sample exam are "retired" questions from previous exams. The NHIE is replaced every year with two new sets.

You will not find any T/F questions on the NHIE. You will be given what it called the "stem", this is the question. You will then be given 4 answers to pick from. All will sound like the right answer but only one is correct.

Brian Thomas
07-23-2008, 09:29 AM
I took the exam this morning and received a 91%. Thanks for everyones input on study materials, as you can see it paid off.

Thank goodness I wont have to study for the exam anymore. I realize in the home inspection business you always have to study to keep up with codes and stuff like that though. So I suppose the studying has only just begun but at least thats one less thing that I have to worry about!

David Banks
07-23-2008, 09:40 AM
I took the exam this morning and received a 91%. Thanks for everyones input on study materials, as you can see it paid off.

Thank goodness I wont have to study for the exam anymore. I realize in the home inspection business you always have to study to keep up with codes and stuff like that though. So I suppose the studying has only just begun but at least thats one less thing that I have to worry about!

Congratulations. When I took it they did not give a score. Pass, Fail.

Erby Crofutt
07-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Congratulations, Brian!

You've made it to the first rung of a very long learning ladder.

Good luck with the rest of it.

You're already ahead of a bunch of them because you're smart enough to come here, stick your neick out and ask questions.

Brian Thomas
07-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Congratulations. When I took it they did not give a score. Pass, Fail.

Thanks!

Mine showed whether you passed and it also showed you what your score was.

Ted Menelly
07-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Thanks!

Mine showed whether you passed and it also showed you what your score was.

My score was weird if I remember correctly. I think it was scored in the hundreds, what ever that meant. I remember asking the guy and he said it did not matter because it was a pass fail thing.

Scott Patterson
07-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Indiana has a strange requirement with their testing score. They want a % value. The NHIE is scored on a numerical value that is similar to how the SAT exams are scored. The NHIE is scored from 200 to 800 with 500 and above being a passing grade. So to make the state happy this percentage score was created.

The percent figure that Brian has is based on a few factors that include those who have take the exam in IN and what they have scored. It should also have a numerical score, that I would guess based on 91% would be in the 700 range. If he scored 75% or above it would still be a passing grade in his state.

Many don't realize it but each question on the NHIE has a different scoring weight. The more difficult the question the more points you get, the easier the question the less points. Two test takers could answer the same number of questions correctly but one could pass and the other could fail.

Congratulations on passing!

Ted Menelly
07-23-2008, 01:24 PM
Indiana has a strange requirement with their testing score. They want a % value. The NHIE is scored on a numerical value that is similar to how the SAT exams are scored. The NHIE is scored from 200 to 800 with 500 and above being a passing grade.

The percent figure that Brian has is based on a few factors that include those who have take the exam in IN and what they have scored. It should also have a numerical score, that I would guess based on 91% in the 700 range.

Congratulations on passing!

I thought that is what it was. I was one of the dumb ones with like a 680 or something. I have the certificate somewhere. Anyways, still passed. I guess no prep before hand realized my score. (study course or such).