PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling height

Mike Schulz
07-17-2008, 10:28 AM
Home had the 2nd floor finished off recently which was not when the home was constructed. When you enter through the door into a finished bonus room above the garage it dog legs around to the room. At the entrance the ceiling slopes off which when you enter you have to walk along the wall to after you pass the valley rafter.

Is there amount of space that is required at the entrance to the room?
By the photo's does it look right to you?

Thanks

Jerry Peck
07-17-2008, 10:45 AM
7 feet 6 inches, for the minimum required width of a hallway (36" wide), beyond that, you could have elected to have put a wall there (and probably should have).

That - in the photo - *does not cut it*.

Theoretically, there is no access to that room, more importantly, there is *no proper and required EGRESS FROM* that room. No one really cares if you can get in, but once in, you are required to be able to *get out*.

Also looks like the smoke detector is improperly placed too, because of that peak area.

Jerry McCarthy
07-17-2008, 11:31 AM
All true, but wait, what if? (see attached)

Like to see the natural light source, ventilation and e EE&R?

Mike Schulz
07-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Thanks, Jerry's

I should of measured the ceiling like west Jerry showed. The room had a window in the end room which would be the front of the garage.

I don't understand what you mean by the location of the smoke detector. I see them like that in bedrooms that have similar ceilings.

Jerry Peck
07-17-2008, 12:53 PM
Mike,

That sloped part ... in the room or in the access path to the room.

I am envisioning it in the access path to the room.

I suspect WC Jerry is envisioning it in the room.

I'm basing it on the door opening into the room (as is typically done), which might not be the case.

Jerry Peck
07-17-2008, 12:56 PM
I think I just answered my question by looking at that center photo again, the door swings out over the upper stair landing, thus the slope part is 'in the room'.

I still say that the access to the egress door needs to be 36" wide to a height of 7'6" (minimum ceiling height), after which it can slope down lower.

Now, about that door swinging out over the upper landing of the stairs ...

brian schmitt
07-17-2008, 01:26 PM
door swinging out over a landing not a problem. swinging over a stair=a problem! ceiling height of 7' in a hallway was acceptable under our old code and maybe yours when this room was rough framed? wc jerry has a good arguement for approval. bathrooms,kitchens,laundry rooms,etc still allow a 7' ceiling height here. i would not sweat the small s$#t and this looks like wet flatulance to me!:D

Gunnar Alquist
07-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Mike,

Recognizing that this is not part of your question, but is the roof adequately vented? I often see attic modifications that have not taken ventilation into consideration.

Jerry Peck
07-17-2008, 05:21 PM
door swinging out over a landing not a problem.

Ummmmm ... "not a problem" ... you sure? ;)

I consider it "a problem" ... not a code violation, but "a problem" in that it creates a safety risk when egressing from that door. What if ...

What if someone was on the landing?

What if you opened the door part way and turned toward the stairs?

What if ... ?

ceiling height of 7' in a hallway was acceptable

Correct with the 7 foot ceiling height, I was thinking the old Florida Building Code, the new Florida codes are modeled after the I codes and the ceiling height has been reduced to 7 feet.

That said, no one has addressed the ceiling height (7 feet) for the minimum egress width (3 feet) and that the minimum egress width with the minimum ceiling height is not provided for in that room near the door to egress through.