PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust fan is shower

Richard Roshak
07-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Are powered exhaust fans permitted in ceilings of showers. This one was not even GFI protected.

Rich

Jerry Peck
07-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Only if it is wet location rated, which is highly unlikely.

Most shower fans I've seen are simply grilles with exhaust duct leading to a remotely mounted exhaust fan.

Ted Menelly
07-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Wet rated or not I have seen dips just in dryer vent lines running through the attic to a side wall that was not sealed and the water gathered at the dip and slowly destroyed the ceiling below. All that water from a shower (it has to be buckets) blowing thru a vent line I cannot see it not just running back down out of the vent to the shower unless it has a 427 hooked up to the fan.

Jim Zborowski
07-18-2008, 04:48 AM
Ted, I really don't think you'ld want a 427 hooked to the exhaust fan with the price of gas right now.........maybe a small block?

paul hardy
07-18-2008, 06:15 AM
that appears to be an older model broan fan/light the specs for those fans allow it if gfci protected. Fan/Light
Model 657
• 70 CFM 4.0 Sones.
• Designer styled white polymeric grille complements virtually any decor.
• Bright 100-watt light capacity.
Bulb not included
• 15-amp circuit acceptable.
• Type IC (Insulation Contact).
• Use with Model 68W or 68V two-function control (available separately).
• UL Listed for use over bathtubs and showers when connected to GFCI-protected branch circuit.
• Does not include heater.

Mark Jones
07-19-2008, 09:18 PM
I concur with Paul and Jerry. The exhaust fan units I've seen rated for use in a shower have an all plastic housing, or are required to be connected through a GFCI protected circuit.