PDA

View Full Version : Sump pump installation

mathew stouffer
07-21-2008, 02:46 PM
I can't find anything regarding sump pump drain line requirements, although I thought garden hose would not make the approved materials list. Is this acceptable?

mathew stouffer
07-21-2008, 02:48 PM
I forgot this jem.

Scott Patterson
07-21-2008, 02:49 PM
I can't find anything regarding sump pump drain line requirements, although I thought garden hose would not make the approved materials list. Is this acceptable?

Well, since the trash can manufacturer did not intend for it to be used as a sump I would not worry much about the garden hose! :D

That is a very poor installation of a sump. It does nothing at removing the ground water(below the grade), the way that thing is installed water has to enter into the crawl space and be flowing several inches before it ever enters the sump. Now if you have pulled it out of its hole, then my comment is a moot point.

I'm betting that cord on the pump is plugged into an extension cord and then that cord goes to who knows where.

wayne soper
07-21-2008, 02:51 PM
No no good. Not acceptable. "But we never got any water in there anyway so never mind". Water marks? What water marks?

wayne soper
07-21-2008, 02:51 PM
On second thought. Mabey that was a bait well for the guys boat and he was just storing it there. HAHA

mathew stouffer
07-21-2008, 08:02 PM
The whole thing was a piece of crap, but I was curious about the garden hose. Moreover, the hose was about thirty feet long.

Patrick Martinez
07-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Hey Matthew,

this looks like a great attempt at maintaining head pressure across the pump, or maybe the screeching noise it makes is the telltale it works, Barely!

I haven't seen anything for sumps for that purpose. My concern(s) would be the discharge termination, so it does not erode any ground around the end of line.
The discharge port if the pump looks to be 1-1/4", it should run undiminished in size to it's termination.

Hope this helps,

Pat

Jon Randolph
07-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Decreased discharge piping = decreased flow
Decreased flow = more/harder work for the pump
Harder working pump = decreased life expectancy
dead pump = water / moisture intrusion

Honestly, if the manufacturer of the pump wanted a garden hose connection, it would have been 3/4" instead of 1-1/4". Combine that with an improper garbage can sump pit not being installed at/below the footer and the whole thing needs to be redone.