PDA

View Full Version : Nail gun happy

mathew stouffer
07-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Other than the fact these guys put 21 nails in a single piece of window trim, what are the repercautions, if any, for sinking the nails in this deep. Some were a 1/4 inch deep or more. The wood was 1 1/12. I pointed it out to the builder and he said no big deal, the wood is 11/2.

Brandon Whitmore
07-22-2008, 09:38 PM
The trim already looks like it is cracking, and may continue to do so.

My main concern is that every hole is a pocket for moisture to stand/ seep in, which will lead to premature deterioration.

Markus Keller
07-23-2008, 06:05 AM
What Brandon said.
I always hate seeing that. It only takes a minute to adjust the head on the gun for proper depth, nonetheless so many guys are just too lazy to do it.

Billy Stephens
07-23-2008, 06:23 AM
--- put 21 nails in a single piece of window trim, ---- sinking the nails in this deep. Some were a 1/4 inch deep or more. ----- the builder and he said no big deal, .

Just another 21 entry points for moisture to collect. :rolleyes:

Rick Sabatino
07-23-2008, 06:51 AM
I wonder if the nails are at least galvanized? The heads will rust, good chance of staining the wood. Looks like framing nails used. At least they could use the right nails.

Brandon Whitmore
07-23-2008, 09:44 AM
I wonder if the nails are at least galvanized? The heads will rust, good chance of staining the wood

Shoot, the nails are countersunk so far, I'm not sure the rust wil make it out. :D