PDA

View Full Version : Toilet position

Ed Bliss
05-04-2007, 07:12 PM
This layout was found in two cabins built about ten years ago inspected today in Colorado. Is this evidence that the plumbing was not inspected by a State of Colorado plumbing inspector?

Rick Hurst
05-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Thats a combination toilet and vanity seat.

I'm impressed with it being a cabin that there is even a toilet on the inside. Takes the fun out of wetting off the back porch.

Jerry Peck
05-04-2007, 08:00 PM
I would say so.

There needs to be 21" clear space in front of that lavatory, and the toilet is not allowed to occupy that space.

You also need 21" in front of each fixture, which means 21" in front of the toilet too.

That 21" is to any other fixture, to any wall, to any door, etc.

Scott Patterson
05-04-2007, 08:06 PM
I guess I would have to ask if the State of Colorado inspects plumbing? In every case I know of this would be done by the county, town or city inspectors. They also don't really inspect the fixtures all that much.

If this was a cabin out in the country, 99% chance that it was not looked at by anyone other than the person that might have been using it!

Thom Walker
05-04-2007, 08:23 PM
It took me a while to pick up what was wrong with the installation. I finally got it. They left out the cup holder, right?

Ed Bliss
05-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Scott, The State of Colorado has the authority to inspect any plumbing in the State unless the local entity decides to control the inspections. At least one community overrides the State and does not require inspections or code compliance even in commercial facilities. Ed

Richard Moore
05-04-2007, 08:59 PM
My guess is that the cabins and WCs were owned and/or designed by a commercial airline pilot or flight attendant. Were there "Please return to you seat" signs?

Tim Moreira
05-04-2007, 09:43 PM
That's actually the morning after hang over toilet.

Sit on the pot and puke in the sink at the same time, what more could you ask for?

:)

Joe Nernberg
05-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Looks like intentional multi-tasking: grunt, brush, wipe, etc. If it's the kid's bathroom, then there is no need for a step stool. It's all a matter of perspective.

Michael Thomas
05-05-2007, 08:34 AM
Jerry,

is that 21" to a closed door, or any point in the swing?

Jerry Peck
05-05-2007, 08:50 AM
Jerry,

is that 21" to a closed door, or any point in the swing?

To the closed door. It is assumed that the door will be closed when you are in the bathroom 'using the facilities'. Think of the door as 'a wall'.

Measure that 21" in front of at the same width required for it - 15" to each side of center, continued out to a point 21" in front of.

You will be surprised how many 'angled walls' you will find intruding into that require floor space. When designing them, the architects frequently cut the corner angle wall "exactly at" the corner of that required space, during construction, though, how often do walls layout "exactly as planned"? Not many. So the angled wall typically cuts right across that space, simply because everyone is looking at where the other side of that wall is, not where the bathroom side of that wall is. Many times, they cut a large portion of that space off.

Sometimes, though, it is the architects fault. I've seen plans where those angled walls were drawn, and a dimension was shown - 21" - from the front of the water closet to the wall - the wall right at the corner where the angle starts. There was no way to get the required 21" without moving that wall out far enough to move the point of contact 'from the center line' to 'the 15" from center line' - that's a lot of wall movement. Sometimes it would require moving both walls to allow that angled wall to clear the required floor space.

Jerry Peck
05-05-2007, 10:37 AM
From the IRC. (bold and underlining are mine)
- SECTION P2705

- - INSTALLATION

- - - P2705.1 General. The installation of fixtures shall conform to
the following:
- - - - 1. Floor-outlet or floor-mounted fixtures shall be secured
to the drainage connection and to the floor, where so
designed, by screws, bolts, washers, nuts and similar fasteners
of copper, brass or other corrosion-resistant
material.
- - - - 2. Wall-hung fixtures shall be rigidly supported so that
strain is not transmitted to the plumbing system.
- - - - 3. Where fixtures come in contact with walls and floors, the
contact area shall be water tight.
- - - - 4. Plumbing fixtures shall be usable.
- - - - 5. The centerline of water closets or bidets shall not be less
than 15 inches (381 mm) from adjacent walls or partitions
or not less than 15 inches (381 mm)from the centerline
of a bidet to the outermost rim of an adjacent water
closet. There shall be at least 21 inches (533 mm) clearance
in front of the water closet, bidet or lavatory to any
wall, fixture or door.
- - - - 6. The location of piping, fixtures or equipment shall not
interfere with the operation of windows or doors.
- - - - 7. In areas prone to flooding as established by Table
R301.2(1), plumbing fixtures shall be located or installed
in accordance with Section R323.1.5.
- - - - 8. Integral fixture-fitting mounting surfaces on manufactured
plumbing fixtures or plumbing fixtures constructed
on site, shall meet the design requirements of
ASME A112.19.2 or ASME A112.19.3.

Also note that, for those times when a door hits a toilet or lavatory, 6. above applies and prohibits that.

Jerry Peck
05-05-2007, 10:52 AM
I just made a quick drawing showing a typical water closet installation.

Same clearances apply to other plumbing fixtures.