PDA

View Full Version : 4 inch curb in garage

Allen Lott
07-23-2008, 06:03 PM
I am looking for a code referrence on the height of the curb in the garage. I know I have seen it somewhere but I cant find anything.

Jerry McCarthy
07-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Allen, curb for what reason? Are you talking about a bollard to help protect a furnace or water heater from vehicle impact?

John Arnold
07-23-2008, 06:34 PM
I think he's talking about a curb at the door to the house to reduce gas fumes from crossing the threshold.

Allen Lott
07-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Jerry,

Sorry for the lack of a better description. (it made since in my head)
John was correct, I am referring to the curb in front of the garage door to prevent gas fumes from entering the structure.

Scott Patterson
07-23-2008, 08:23 PM
I am looking for a code referrence on the height of the curb in the garage. I know I have seen it somewhere but I cant find anything.

No requirement that I'm aware of. Same goes for the automatic closers on the home to garage door. Use to be, but no longer. Although I have heard of some AHJ's still enforcing it.

The idea of the curb was not to stop fumes, but rather to stop liquids. A 4" curb won't do much to stop fumes. Remember how high a water heater needs to be in a garage?

Rick Hurst
07-23-2008, 08:53 PM
I've always heard the curb was not to stop a vehicle or about the gas fumes, but as Scott said for water runoff from vehicles not to enter the structure after coming in from the rain.

The only thing is most garage are only about 22 ft. deep and when the vehicle is parked into this space, the front of the car overhangs the curb area still allowing water run-off to drip onto this area. I've seen walls in front of garage where the sill plates are decayed due to this.

rick

Jerry McCarthy
07-24-2008, 08:33 AM
This thread begs the question how many inspectors note the garage floor sloping towards the vehicle door or lack of such?
Also, large gaps at the door bottom?