PDA

View Full Version : Foundation comment on HI report

Jeff Eastman
05-05-2007, 10:05 AM

Michael Thomas
05-05-2007, 10:22 AM
IMO, in many circumstances "a qualified contractor utilizing the services of an engineer to design and supervise repairs as required" is (more) appropriate. (Is it true that "only a qualified structural engineer can determine the extent and causes of noted movement symptoms"?).

John Arnold
05-05-2007, 10:25 AM
I would change "movement symptoms" to "movement evidence" or something like that. A symptom is a subjective feeling, as in "my head hurts". A sign (in medicine, anyway) is objective evidence, as in "the patient has a hatchet buried in his skull". So, the foundation, not being alive, conscious, etc., cannot have any symptoms.
My mother was an English teacher and my father was a professor of American literature, so I can't help it.

Erby Crofutt
05-05-2007, 01:09 PM
CYA with words:

======
I recommend that a qualified foundation contractor, who utilizes the services of a licensed engineer to design repairs, be consulted to determine needed repairs & best repair methods, estimate costs, and to perform any repairs deemed necessary.
=========

Mike Huppi
05-05-2007, 02:50 PM
CYA with words:

======
I recommend that a qualified foundation contractor, who utilizes the services of a licensed engineer to design repairs, be consulted to determine needed repairs & best repair methods, estimate costs, and to perform any repairs deemed necessary.
=========

I like that one. Do you mind if I use it?

Richard Stanley
05-06-2007, 09:55 AM
The foundation has indications of failure ie; blah, blah, etc. Appropriate reparations should be prescribed by a structural engineer.

K Robertson
06-06-2007, 05:52 AM
John,

I like you am sometimes "concerned" with terminology. I just put what I see. If it's in the beginning stages of failure, my "opinion" would read something like, "foundation appears to be in beginning stages of failure and future repairs are imminent based on observations of..." I don't know if it's the best wording or not, but so far it seems to have worked. Would be open to other suggestions as well.

Richard Stanley
06-06-2007, 07:02 AM
What is " the beginning stages of failure"? It either has or it has not. If you can cee cracks (PT slab), It has failed. (Rebar - not neccessarily a big deal). If it feels out of level when you are walking thru - it probably is outside the allowable or acceptable tolerances - 1" - 15'. Most, probably all, residential buildings on/in clay soil will move. Masonry, moldings, gypsum may/will have stress cracks from the movement - That is not neccessarily a foundation failure. If you suspect excessive movement, get the elevations, or defer.
Do not automatically accept that a "new" foundation is ok.

K Robertson
06-07-2007, 04:44 AM
What is " the beginning stages of failure"?

An old SE once told me, "sometimes a crack is just a crack, sometimes it signs of failure, sometimes its signs of failure to come." Personally, I disagree with the comments that it's either failed or not and there is absolutely nothing in between. There is always something in between, it's just a matter of seeing it. It's like saying 1+1=2 and there is no such thing as 1.5. Sure there is and there is a 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.31,1.32, etc. There is always something in between. Just because it is difficult to detect, does not mean it doesn't exist.... but that's just my humble opinion. :D :rolleyes: