PDA

View Full Version : New one to me

wayne soper
05-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Anyone seen one of these before? I haven't.

Dom D'Agostino
05-05-2007, 01:32 PM
I guessing they use it to drain the water line for the Winter without using a bucket?

Dom.

wayne soper
05-05-2007, 01:58 PM
I like that one. MAkes sense. Any other ideas out there?

Victor DaGraca
05-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Was there a trap just below?

Mike Huppi
05-05-2007, 02:48 PM
If thats the case wouldn't you need a back flow valve on the line.

wayne soper
05-05-2007, 02:56 PM
No, No trap below.

Jerry Peck
05-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Major, major cross connection.

Great potential for contamination of the potable water supply.

James Duffin
05-05-2007, 08:09 PM
What are the two 3/4' pipes feeding above?

Thom Walker
05-05-2007, 08:11 PM
The cross contamination was what I picked up on. But I do have a question about it. That looks like a disconnect at the potable source. If the two were connected only during the time of draining the lines and if the bib had a backflow prevention device on it, would it still be a cross contamination circumstance?

Jerry Peck
05-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Thom,

I my opinion, yes.

The blue (PEX?) line from the DWV WILL BE contaminated *all the time* from bacteria entering from the waste connection.

That puts the contaminated water right up there at the hose bibb.

If you look closely, you will see two hose bibbs and one line, which means that that 'draining line' is to be moved from hose bibb to hose bibb, you know, so they can make sure they contaminate BOTH potable water lines.

I don't see any backflow preventer either.

For something like that, you would need a major multiple purpose backflow preventer - did you go to the Watts site and order those DVDs? If so, watch the one of Backflow Prevention, if not order them and then watch it.

James Duffin
05-05-2007, 08:27 PM
An indirect waste connection may be another option...like on a reverse osmosis system. No backflow device needed as long as there is an air gap..

Jerry Peck
05-05-2007, 08:35 PM
No backflow device needed as long as there is an air gap..

Which in and of itself is a backflow prevention device. But not all cross connections are allowed to use air gaps as air gaps are not always reliable for the prevention of a cross connection.

Contamination can cross the air gap, spillage, splashing, evaporation, a number of different reasons, including backpressure (in this case, an air gap could overflow if the DWV line clogged and backed up).

Thom Walker
05-05-2007, 08:48 PM
They are ordered now.

As I said, I would have called out the cross contamination risk. I just wondered if there was a way to use the idea without cross contaminating.

James Duffin
05-05-2007, 08:54 PM
This simple 1/4" darin hose could dump into an air gap without a RPZ device I believe. Please share with us your acceptable connection.

Thom Walker
05-14-2007, 10:39 PM
For something like that, you would need a major multiple purpose backflow preventer - did you go to the Watts site and order those DVDs? If so, watch the one of Backflow Prevention, if not order them and then watch it.

I got them last night and watched them tonight. The one on scalding should be watched by everyone on the planet.

Gunnar Alquist
05-15-2007, 07:51 AM
Jerry,

I must have missed the post about the Watts DVD. I went to their site and was unable to find the link. Can you help?

Thanks

Thom Walker
05-15-2007, 07:56 AM
Learn About - Danger Scalding Lurks! Free DVD, hot water scald, safety mixing valve (http://www.watts.com/pro/divisions/watersafety_flowcontrol/learnabout/learnabout_dvdorderform.asp)