PDA

View Full Version : Venting balconies

Reis Pearson
08-04-2008, 07:54 AM
I had a new construction yesterday that has a vent strip... it seems to me that for proper venting two would be ideal (one foward, one back) to allow for some circular flow... Am I being over the top?! I assume the one strip will be fine, but wanted some other opinions.
THanks,
Reis

Jerry Peck
08-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Why would you vent a balcony?

Brandon Whitmore
08-04-2008, 08:21 AM
They vent them around here, but I only usually see the one strip at the bottom outside edge.

Jim Zborowski
08-04-2008, 09:55 AM
assuming the top and bottom are completely enclosed, and you did want to vent them, simple logic would be that you would need a place for air to enter in order for air to escape. otherwise if you could get it to vent with only air exhausting, the space would then become a vacuum. theoretically.

Ron Bibler
08-04-2008, 01:05 PM
How can you tell if 1 vent is working or not?

How can you tell if 2 vents are working or not?

Best

Ron

Reis Pearson
08-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Any balcony that has a soffited (is that a word?) under structure is vented so that the excessive moisture does not get trapped, rotting out the frame/sheathing, etc. The top side of these decks is an epoxy membrane coating. The strip(s) are intended to move air over the joists so that moisture does not build up enough to damage the joists/sheathing.

Ron Bibler
08-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Yes you are correct but.

Best

Ron

Billy Stephens
08-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Yes you are correct but.

Best

Ron
Ron,

If it's open & not obstructed it's Functioning as intended. :)