PDA

View Full Version : Stucco Ghosting

Jim Robinson
08-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Anyone seen these shadows show up under the synthetic stucco?

Any idea what causes them? You can see the round cap nails and the gaps between the foam under the stucco. This was on an upper section that gets a lot of sun exposure. The other sections didn't have it, but the stucco wasn't in great shape anywhere.

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
08-04-2008, 05:41 PM
jim
are you sure it is stucco and not eifs?? i have seen that stain or ghost as you say on leaking eifs gaps at windows,and there are windows right above those stains. could be poor eifs installation 101
charlie

wayne soper
08-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Looks like moisture behind EIFS to me.

Markus Keller
08-04-2008, 06:23 PM
I don't get much stucco/eifs around here but from the reading and few insp I've done I have to agree with the other guys.
Moisture gets in the wall, starts rusting the nails and wire, then you get the ghosting.
Is eifs big in your area? If not maybe get ahold of a local builder type to see what type of stucco gets used around there.

Ron Bibler
08-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Anyone seen these shadows show up under the synthetic stucco?

Any idea what causes them? You can see the round cap nails and the gaps between the foam under the stucco. This was on an upper section that gets a lot of sun exposure. The other sections didn't have it, but the stucco wasn't in great shape anywhere.

q. Is this wall a second story ? looks like roofing materials at the bottom L. may have a flashing problem. did you look at the framing under this areas? if so was there any stains? how long from the last rain in your area? You May have a electrolysis condition that looks like shadows on the nail heads under the stucco/EIFS. Is there a bathroom/shower on the other side of this area?

Best

Ron

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
08-04-2008, 06:47 PM
jim
good point from ron..is there ghosting above the window sills?? if not, i would really go after those window seals and poor eifs installation or window caulking and seals---hosed. is it eifs or stucco?? you did first state synthetic stucco, does that mean eifs
charlie

Jim Robinson
08-04-2008, 08:26 PM
EIFS, and not in good shape. Moisture penetration was my original thought, as the perimeter of the lower windows were so loose you could pull the stucco out away from the edge of the window. Yes, upper floor above the roof line. No bathroom anywhere near this window. Flashing above was fine, there was about a 24" overhang on the roof line above this area, so it had to come from the window. It wouldn't surprise me at all for there to be moisture damage. It rained tonight, but that was the first rain for several weeks.

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
08-04-2008, 09:00 PM
jim
i think you have your answer--get that eifs expert out there

Steven Turetsky
08-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Yes it is EIFS and I see a few problems.

The shadowing is caused by the failure to rasp the EPS boards before applying the base coat. Rasping evens off any protruding edges.

Any spaces between the boards that are larger than 1/16" should be filled in with slivers of EPS (and rasped) before applying the base coat.

The shadowing can become more noticeable if the surface is dirty.

Also, the EIFS should have a clearance of 2" above the roof deck, of course there should be flashing under it.

The windows should have a 3/8" - 1/2" expansion joint around them, the joint should be filled with a closed cell backer rod prior to caulking/sealing.

When applying the base coat over the fasteners, the depressions should get a coat of base coat to fill the depression and the the base coat/mesh/base coat over it.

John Carroll
08-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Looks like an EIFS system there...mechanical fastening usually indicates the presence of a WRB, tho, not always. I would suggest a cutout at the roof line to determine proper (or improper) application. If foam insulation was not properly backwrapped, it may be wicking moisture up between the laminas and causing the "ghosting". If there is a WRB and there is no other evidence of moisture or damage to the substrate, then a topical treatment such as fog coating may be sufficient, if all other details and installation procedures were followed. If you are not EIFS certified, call in an expert to look at the detailing. I happen to be available, if you pay the airfare...:D

John Carroll
08-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Lamina should be the plural form, sorry, too many margaritas...:cool:

Ron Bibler
08-06-2008, 09:49 PM
I happen to be available, if you pay the airfare...:D[/quote]

Yes i can come over a give that a look at 2. just $ 2,500.00 a day plus a few extras. and air fair. limo service and room and board. I will need an IR Camera as the TSA always gets its shorts in a bunch if i try to fly with my FLR Camera.

Best

Ron

John Carroll
08-09-2008, 12:11 PM
I work a lot cheaper than him...:cool: