PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crappy Framing Batman

Reis Pearson
08-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Just wanted to share an amazingly sh**** job of framing of a hip style roof and see if I couldn't get some opinions on how to write this one up from more of you seasoned vets...

Bruce King
08-04-2008, 07:26 PM
Here you go........

Ted Menelly
08-04-2008, 07:33 PM
I don't see a problem. What is that a green home that they use all that would have been waisted scrap lumber.

Very interesting gussets. I love the different sized rafters and off set rafters.

I think that is an ingenious way they piece together the hip ridge.

Nope, don't see and problems

Seriously the roof just about needs a complete re frame

This is a job for an engineer to see if he can save it with out pulling it all app art.

This is clearly a job done by some one with absolutely no framing experience what so ever.

If the roof framing looks like that I can only imagine what the rest of the framing looks like.

mathew stouffer
08-04-2008, 10:11 PM
That is great. That roof might last to the end of January around here before the entire thing imploded:)

Ron Bibler
08-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Just wanted to share an amazingly sh**** job of framing of a hip style roof and see if I couldn't get some opinions on how to write this one up from more of you seasoned vets...

Q. Did this pass City/County Build Dept Insp?

Best

Ron

Reis Pearson
08-05-2008, 06:13 AM
Q. Did this pass City/County Build Dept Insp?

Best

Ron

One would assume?!? It's been there since 2004. I'm going to guess that the homeowners decided since it was new construction that they didn't need to have it inspected by one of us?!?

Any advice guys on write up?! Amazingly shi*** framing just doesn't work well in the report.

Thanks,
Reis

Bruce King
08-05-2008, 06:31 AM
Here's one off the top of my head:

Roof framing is incorrect, substandard and unsafe. Recommend an engineer or experienced general contractor determine the correction methods. Substantial work will be needed and may involve some disassembly that would be very expensive. Recommend not occupying the home during wind or snow conditions.

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
08-05-2008, 04:23 PM
hey reis

i would send photos off to local code officials and recommend evaluation by licenced SE, ask what they think, if you are not sure--- and how did this pass and who's signature signed off on it, remember HI are the causes of lost sales and builders really don't like us, but i don't liKE eating what i think is a good steak to only throw up a few days later--write it up
charlie

imported_John Smith
08-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Reis, have you been taking a working vacation in Houston. That looks like most of the new construction in these parts.