PDA

View Full Version : Electric Meter Info

Kirk Hersee
08-05-2008, 02:11 PM
I have to do these "inspections" for mortgage companies from time to time and one of the things that they ask me to record is the Electric Meter #. I'm not sure which number is the actual number they want, though. So far I guess I've done ok, but I want to be sure. There are different types (digital, etc . . .) that I've come across, so I'd be very appreciative of any assistance. Here is an image of a meter, what would be considered the Electric Meter # vs say the consumer number(?)? The latter is a term I found by Googling for meter info.

PS . . . Is posting this sort of image improper in any way? Can anyone do anything with this info?

Rick Hurst
08-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Check out this site.

rick

How to Read Your Electric Meter (http://www.glps.net/meterread.htm)

Bruce King
08-05-2008, 02:33 PM
79515931 is the meter number.

Other things on there they could have asked for are the kilowatt/hour reading or the max amperage rating.

Looks like the bottom of the white tag has a serial number or something but I'm sure thats not what they want.

Kirk Hersee
08-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Rick , thanks for the reply. But, unless I am missing something on this site, it only tells me how to read a meter. I need to know the Electric Meter #. Through further investigation, I believe it is the bottom most # printed on the meter face. Kirk

Billy Stephens
08-05-2008, 02:41 PM
I have to do these "inspections" for mortgage companies from time to time and one of the things that they ask me to record is the Electric Meter #. I'm not sure which number is the actual number they want, though. So far I guess I've done ok, but I want to be sure. There are different types (digital, etc . . .) that I've come across, so I'd be very appreciative of any assistance. Here is an image of a meter, what would be considered the Electric Meter # vs say the consumer number(?)? The latter is a term I found by Googling for meter info.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3176/2735936267_906a976fa8.jpg

PS . . . Is posting this sort of image improper in any way? Can anyone do anything with this info?
Kirk,

I'd go with 79515931.

If you check your electric bill the serial number should be included on it.

Most pictures are posted by going down to Additional Options, click on Upload Photos,
Click Browse, Open your selection. Choose upload. You may also Preview your post to make any changes.

It is a Public Message Board. ;)

Kirk Hersee
08-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Thanks, Bill.

Steven Turetsky
08-05-2008, 03:37 PM
I would also say that the permanent # on the meter is the meter #. It is the same as the # on the bar code tag, The "0" doesn't change the # and is only there to allow the machine that is printing it an additional digit for the future when it will be needed.
Just like the odometer on your car.

Gunnar Alquist
08-05-2008, 04:09 PM
.If you check your electric bill the serial number should be included on it.

I doubt that Kirk will have access to an electric bill if this is a home that he is inspecting.

Rick Hurst
08-05-2008, 04:12 PM
Why would a mortgage company want the serial number off the electric meter?

The meter actually belongs to the "Service Provider". Most meters around here are removed and replaced when homeownership changes.

rick

Billy Stephens
08-05-2008, 04:19 PM
I doubt that Kirk will have access to an electric bill if this is a home that he is inspecting.
His Utility bill. Check His utility bill then step outside to compare the # to his meter for the location of the locale utilities meter serial # :confused:

Did I use a hyphen ? :D

Rick Hurst
08-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Better yet, just send the mortgage company the picture of the meter and let them figure out what they want. :D

rick

Billy Stephens
08-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Why would a mortgage company want the serial number off the electric meter?

rick
My guess would be The Mortgage Company plans to keep the utilities on and want to ensure the Bill they pay is for that property.

Condo building with a bank of meters comes to mind as an accounts payable double check for the proper invoice.

Kirk Hersee
08-05-2008, 04:48 PM
I'm not sure of why they want the number other than they will probably send a preservationist out to shut off the water ,etc. . . they want to know if the electricity/water/gas is on or off. The form I use doesn't refer to the number as a serial number, but an Electric Meter #. Perhaps they're the same? Either way, and for whatever reason they want it, I'm feeling more confident about its being the lower and or bar code #.

As far as my first post's post script, I was just curious if the information on the face of the meter is in any way providing "personal information" or just info that someone could use for their benefit. I really don't know what someone could do. It's just a curiousity since we're in these days of keeping our "personally identifiable information" personally un-identifiable.

Thanks for all your replies

Gunnar Alquist
08-05-2008, 08:27 PM
.His Utility bill. Check His utility bill then step outside to compare the # to his meter for the location of the locale utilities meter serial # :confused:

Duh-Oh! Didn't think of that!
I hate it when I'm that stoopid. :o

Billy Stephens
08-06-2008, 06:51 AM
Duh-Oh! Didn't think of that!
I hate it when I'm that stoopid. :o
Not so hard on the Gunman. :)

Reminded me of a Song ( Hilarious) wish I knew who, But went on,& on Spelling S-T-O-O-P-I-D.

Scott Patterson
08-06-2008, 07:33 AM
I'm not sure of why they want the number other than they will probably send a preservationist out to shut off the water ,etc. . . they want to know if the electricity/water/gas is on or off. The form I use doesn't refer to the number as a serial number, but an Electric Meter #. Perhaps they're the same? Either way, and for whatever reason they want it, I'm feeling more confident about its being the lower and or bar code #.

As far as my first post's post script, I was just curious if the information on the face of the meter is in any way providing "personal information" or just info that someone could use for their benefit. I really don't know what someone could do. It's just a curiousity since we're in these days of keeping our "personally identifiable information" personally un-identifiable.

Thanks for all your replies

I wouldn't worry about providing personal information off a meter number.

As for the number, I would put down what I think is the correct number and not worry much about it. If you are wrong, chances are that the folks who are requesting the information will not know any difference. If they call you on it, simple tell them you made a mistake and you will correct it from now on.