PDA

View Full Version : federal pacific electric panels

daniel nantell
08-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Is it correct to call out all federal pacific panels or just a certain series or models, also what about the zinco panels, are they certain series, to call out.

Gunnar Alquist
08-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Is it correct to call out all federal pacific panels or just a certain series or models, also what about the zinco panels, are they certain series, to call out.

Good question. There is a recent thread that touched on that. A main breaker that JP indicated was not known to be problematic. I have seen bolt-on Zinsco breakers (commercial type) that would not have the buss bar problems of the home panels.

Ken Larson
08-27-2008, 08:53 AM
It is a good question and since I'm not an electrician I don't split hairs on good ones or bad ones. If I see a Fed Pacific or Zinsco I just write up what I see. I tell my clients these panels have been known to have issues and may not be safe. I always recommend they be replaced by a licensed electrician. If the electrician comes out and says it fine I tell the client to get it in writing that the electrician feels the panel is safe.

I personally wouldn't let my family live in a home with either of those panels. But, that's just me.....I'd rather replace those aged pieces of junk. I don't write that in my report, but I may "mumble those sentiments".